• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ConnRadd

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Angleton, Tx
    I wonder if this would ever take off... Seems like there's a market, hog and deer hunters, for the lighter weight AR (AR-15) that will have enough knock down power that's closer to a .308. I know the 6.8 seems to be the answer and people have had good luck with it. But, having something closer to a .308 would make some feel better... Sorry if this a repost, but it's good read.

Remington Introduces new 30 Remington AR Cartridge AccurateShooter.com Bulletin
    Military Camp

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Won't live long ... we already have an entire slew of capable "big game" hunting rounds. The 6.8 SPC, .50 Beowulf, .458 SOCOM, .450 Bushmaster, .308 / 7.62 NATO (AR10), 6.5 Grendel, 7.62x39, etc.

The AR does not need yet another caliber. Remington is wasting their time.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    the ballistics table are DAMN close to the .308, and with a shorter cartridge i think there will be a lot of demand out there, to just swap a barrel or upper on the notoriously popular ar15 platform... you might need to have the bolt face opened up, or swap a bolt out, but the OAL is the SAME as the .223/5.56mm round...

with only 2 inches difference at 500 yards, and a lighter bullet with a slightly higher fps, should make for a very good tactical round as well.

i wouldn't be surprised to see several forms of SBR/suppressed rifles come into play for spec ops/swat and the likes...

i wouldn't say the military would adopt it, but it could become largely popular with them.

The military hasn't shown much in the way of changing it's caliber, and with budget cuts looming, I doubt they will be doing anything in the future. They seem to like all of their squad weapons to operate on the same caliber, and getting FN to change the M249 over to the larger round probably won't go over well since they sell to other military units as well.

The energy tables just show the impact energy. Unfortunately it needs to have grain weight (inertia) to be effective on heavier game. In that category it's about 80 grains short on a good .308 big game round. It'd be effective, you'd just have to be close to maintain velocity deduced energy and accuracy.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    the ballistics table are DAMN close to the .308, and with a shorter cartridge i think there will be a lot of demand out there, to just swap a barrel or upper on the notoriously popular ar15 platform...

125 grain @ 2800 FPS? This is "close" to .308 like the .300 Savage was "close" to .30-'06. :p A .308 should be pushing something 170 grains or more at that kind of velocity.

This is actually only marginally better than 7.62x39mm (123 grains @ around 2300-2400 FPS). I'm hereafter going to call the cartridge formerly known as .30 RAR 7.62x39mm +p

Then again, I suppose it's fun to see ammo manufacturers reinvent the wheel every week.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom