• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    So, I'm finally managing a fishing trip after over 25 years of no time/no license/too many excuses not to. So I'm finally heading out for a camping/fishing trip. About damn time!

But my reel still has the same line on it that it came with. Thirty years ago. So...a few years of use, a lot of years of storage, and I'm wondering if I can trust the old line to bring in dinner. Any opinions?
    DK Firearms

dbgun

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Houston, TX.
    No. When I use to fish (saltwater mainly) on a regular basis, Always heard to change the line on your fishing reels every year. I g your line 30 years old, you can probably break it very easy. Fish will do the same. Besides good fishing line isn't very expensive. Just my $.02

By the way, GOOD LUCK ON YOUR FISHING TRIP.

Last edited:

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    A third, and resounding "No!" At that age, it's really not even slightly debatable. And I'd highly recommend disassembling your reel for a good cleaning and lubrication.

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    I would think not. It's cheap enough to replace though. I imagine there even been some improvements in fishing line in the last 30 years.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I agree with the others. Never trust old fishing line!

Have a great time. Fishing was my passion for a long time and I'm excited about your plans!
    Can you share any details about the trip?

Flash

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    I change mine yearly or if it's been stored. My reel of choice is a spinning reel. 8 to 10# mono. Comes on a big roll. Usually on the very bottom of the shelve. It does just fine.

I cast a lot of smaller weight lures. 1/4oz spinner bait stuff.

Last edited:

JD9305

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 4, 2016
    Austin & Ranch in Llano
    Why even try it? If you haven't been in 30 years wouldn't it feel better to actually catch the fish than to break the fish off because of old brittle line. Spend the money and take the time so you can enjoy your trip!

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Amy Lynn

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2017
    Dallas, TX
    I can't help but wonder if this is a serious question...and why you used the line it came with for 5 years without upgrading in the first place...

Dred

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Just a heads up. When you replace the old line ... braided fishes entirely different from mono filament. It doesn't stretch so if you try to set a hook like you did 30 years ago, you will rip the hook right through the fish mouth. But they still sell mono filament.

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    So, I'm finally managing a fishing trip after over 25 years of no time/no license/too many excuses not to. So I'm finally heading out for a camping/fishing trip. About damn time!

But my reel still has the same line on it that it came with. Thirty years ago. So...a few years of use, a lot of years of storage, and I'm wondering if I can trust the old line to bring in dinner. Any opinions?
    So how did it go. Did you catch anything?

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Just a heads up. When you replace the old line ... braided fishes entirely different from mono filament. It doesn't stretch so if you try to set a hook like you did 30 years ago, you will rip the hook right through the fish mouth. But they still sell mono filament.

Yep. I pretty much only use braided line for saltwater fishing. For anything fresh water I use mono.

panfish (perch and crappie) I use 4 lb test.

bass 17 lb test

stripers 20 lb test with a 30 lb leader

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Buster1979
    Top Bottom