• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nortex

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2013
    Republic of Texas
    300BLK was one of the main reasons I started reloading back in January. Wow, even for this novice, my 300BLK reloads were far superior (as in more accurate and cheaper) than the Remington stuff. 208gr Amax or 220gr SMK sitting on top of ~10.6gr of A1680 works well (but as always refer to your own load data manual).

9x19

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    It never gained a huge following when JD Jones introduced it as the .300 Whisper.

I can't see how a new name and over-priced ammo, or guns with AAC on the side will help.

A very limited cartridge to me, I'd rather have a 7.62x39mm

winchster

Right Wing Extremist
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Justin, TX
    It never gained a huge following when JD Jones introduced it as the .300 Whisper.

I can't see how a new name and over-priced ammo, or guns with AAC on the side will help.

A very limited cartridge to me, I'd rather have a 7.62x39mm

It will do everything the 7.62x39 will plus do it reliably in an AR platform. Not to mention it is suppressor friendly.

mortdooley

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    My experience with the 300blackout has not been good yet. The home loads I have made are so bad I thought my bullets were under size, at 25yards I could miss a standard target about half the time. The powders for more common loads have not been available in my area or online since before I bought my upper.

When I can buy factory loads below .60 a round or jacketed bullets that don't cost as much as loaded ammo maybe I will see an improvement.

Stukaman

Well-Known
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 26, 2011
    Fort Worth
    It will do everything the 7.62x39 will plus do it reliably in an AR platform. Not to mention it is suppressor friendly.

The thought of getting a suppressor is the only thing that turns me on about the whole thing. Otherwise good luck finding it on the shelf like you can 7.62x39 and even .223 was in Lubbock last week and every gunshop had .223 though academy had buckets more and was reasonably priced. Unless your going suppressed, I think it's just something neat to show your buddy. Not hating on it I like the one I fired but to me it's just a meh. Reloading is a must with the rnd IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

9x19

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008

How is that different from the .300 Whisper? Isn't everything "supressor friendly" when loaded with a heavier than standard bullet and/or slower than standard velocities? I'm not a suppressor-guy, nor am I chained to the AR platform, so again, for me, I'd rather have the 7.62x39 if only due to ammo availability and costs.

winchster

Right Wing Extremist
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Justin, TX
    How is that different from the .300 Whisper?
    Whisper is a wildcat, and as such, never garnered support from manufacturers.
    Isn't everything "supressor friendly" when loaded with a heavier than standard bullet and/or slower than standard velocities? I'm not a suppressor-guy, nor am I chained to the AR platform, so again, for me, I'd rather have the 7.62x39 if only due to ammo availability and costs.
    I guess, I'm not into suppressors.
    The round was "created" as a SAAMI spec cartridge to provide a .30 caliber round that would function reliably, using existing inventories, for the military.
    As for me, I'm not chained to the AR either. However, the military is. Personally, I'm not a fan of the AK, so this round gives me a reliable semi auto 30-30.

winchster

Right Wing Extremist
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Justin, TX
    The thought of getting a suppressor is the only thing that turns me on about the whole thing. Otherwise good luck finding it on the shelf like you can 7.62x39 and even .223 was in Lubbock last week and every gunshop had .223 though academy had buckets more and was reasonably priced. Unless your going suppressed, I think it's just something neat to show your buddy. Not hating on it I like the one I fired but to me it's just a meh. Reloading is a must with the rnd IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Never been a fan of the .223 and I don't care for AK's. it gives me a semi auto 30-30 in a platform I like.

cconn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 5, 2009
    Hemphill
    How is that different from the .300 Whisper? Isn't everything "supressor friendly" when loaded with a heavier than standard bullet and/or slower than standard velocities? I'm not a suppressor-guy, nor am I chained to the AR platform, so again, for me, I'd rather have the 7.62x39 if only due to ammo availability and costs.

The Whisper was a proprietary cartridge. What this meant was that companies had to pay JD Jones in order to use it. AAC/TFG redesigned it slightly and submitted it to SAAMI. This means that anyone can use it for free. There was ammo on the shelves before the grat gun scares struck. My LGS still has 3 boxes of it now, I saw it this morning. I have 3 rifles chambered it this caliber. To me it is a almost perfect rifle for my needs. I can go from normal high velocity hunting/defense rounds to super quiet suppressed rounds with just a magazine change.

One issue with the 7.62x39 in an AR is the extreme taper of the cartridge body causes more stress on the boltface, which can lead to failure. The 300 BLK uses the same bolt and magazine as the 5.56.

Mortdooley, there is something wrong somewhere. While I won't claim a 300 BLK to be a tackdriver, all 3 of mine are plenty accurate. I completed a 2 day training course at CSAT last year with my homebuilt 8" barrel suppressed 300 BLK. We fired 800 rounds in 2 days. My rifle had no failures or issues. We were shooting out to 300 yards. So my 300 BLK, out of a 8 inch barrel with an EOTech, was able to hit the target with no problems at 300 yards all day long.

ETA: Almost all my loads are handloads. Except for the 800 rounds I used in the CSAT class, those were factory Remington 115 grain due to lack of time to reload them.

Nortex

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2013
    Republic of Texas
    ccon, I share your affinity for 300BLK. I swap mags on my AR for super/sub loads & have the Badger Ordnance bottom metal on my Rem700 to swap out AICS mags. Works great.

I am not a huge fan of the Rem 115gr Factory Ammo (had very poor groups and some issues with bad primers, seating depth). I pretty much settled on the 208gr Amax for my subs. Still trying to decide on my favorite supersonic hunting load...so far I really like the Berger 155gr VLD (not cheap, but great bullet).

It seemed the 155gr bullets gave the best downrange energy. So far results on feral hogs is good. Not as awesome as 458 ocom, but what is? :-)

Anyway, got any fav pet loads to share?

cconn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 5, 2009
    Hemphill
    I have had good luck on hogs using the 110 grain Barnes 30811 bullets. Can't remember off hand what charge of powder, but it was H-110.

I just got in 1500 rounds of Sierra's 125 grain HP bullets, and I plan on loading these up for plinking/training ammo.

Top Bottom