• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MikePotts

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Here's my newly completed 300aac, the 'scope for which arrived just last night. I should be able to get it sighted in this afternoon:

P1010441_zps1b6435ef.gif

P1010442_zps427a8c82.gif

P1010443_zps4e421c75.gif
    Lynx Defense

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    Congrats, it truly is a fun cartridge. Especially if you reload and have a can. For someone who doesn't require 300+ yard shots its pretty hard to beat its versatility. After Im satisfied with all my loads I plan on making a 300blk loading thread to help out some of the new to 300blk guys. With this round its a lot of trial and error. Add in no crimp, light crimp, heavy crimp and you can burn through some ammo quick.

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    I really want to make this my next project now, but I'm not set up for reloading-nor do I know anything about it. Are there any places that I could buy reloaded ammo off a vendor?

shooterfpga

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Conroe, TX
    I really want to make this my next project now, but I'm not set up for reloading-nor do I know anything about it. Are there any places that I could buy reloaded ammo off a vendor?

Yes theres a few trusted outfits that have 300blk reloads. Ozark ordnance is the first that comes to mind.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    Yes theres a few trusted outfits that have 300blk reloads. Ozark ordnance is the first that comes to mind.

Only problem is while their loads are better than the big mass produced ammo they still load to a mass consumable load recipe. The PNW stuff I shot wasnt all that great 2moa. If you're fine with 2" groups then the lower volume boutique loaders will pribably be your best bet and theyre cheaper to boot.

If you want to get into reloading I'd be happy to show you how to reload. I simply dont have time to reload for others at this time but I'd be happy to help you get started. I can also help you build the gun if you dont buy it already together.

shooterfpga

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Conroe, TX
    Id have to check prices again on parts. If i can build one for under $400 possibly including the proper tools to assemble ill go for it. I can take em apart all day long i just dont have the right tools to assemble them properly after. The barrel for example i took apart using two screwdrivers like a spanner wrench but obviously trying to use that technique to properly torque it would fail horribly and most likely end up with broken parts and a misalignes gas tube. I do have ar punches somewhere though.

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    I appreciate the offer. Let me get recovered from these holiday expenses, and I think I wanna buy a lower to kick things off-then go from there.

rsilvers

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2011
    NE
    Fun. And ammo has not always been so available.

To answer the OP's question..the difference between Winmag and Blackout is about 1800fps with 220gr bullets.

Not really - as you are comparing 220 loads for 300 BLK that are at 1/2 pressure with 300 WM loads from a 26 inch barrel. Not many know the velocity of 220s from 300 WM with a 16 inch barrel. 2540 fps at 62,000 psi.

And 300 BLK will do 1500 fps from a 16 inch barrel with 220 grain bullets at 55,000 psi.

So the difference is about 1040 fps.

rsilvers

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2011
    NE
    You can make a pistol gas barrel run subs without a can, I run a standard carbine buffer and it will run subs wothout the can on my 16" pistol gas noveske. I dont really see thepoint Iin doing that but it does work.

Both pistol and carbine gas systems cycle factory Remington subsonic with and without a can. The exception are uppers where the manufacturer specifically did not want the user to be able to do this, and so designed them to not do this - or I suppose accidentally ended up with them not doing this.

rsilvers

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2011
    NE
    If youre not going to shoot subs then carbine is perfectly fine. Pistol gas really helps subsonic performance.

This was true of old 300 Whisper(R) guns and ammo, but is not the case with 300 BLK.

AAC brand 16 uppers - probably the most reliable made by anyone - have carbine gas systems. They certainly shoot subs.

Don't get me wrong - I love pistol gas. I am *not* saying that carbine is better. What I am saying is that carbine works very well for 16 inch barrels (not not well for short barrels). In the event that it does not work well with a 16 inch barrel, it is *not* because it is carbine, but rather because some specific maker did not make a good upper and is using too small a gas port or too heavy a buffer.

Top Bottom