• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 35Remington

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Way out here
    I saw this elsewhere online and I've always wanted to get into 300 BLK. Interested in thoughts from those who have experience here.

Ad:
    Noveske 300 blackout with 10.5" barrel, perm attached 6" flash hider
    Free float barrel
    4 rail hand guard
    Flat top
    Forward assist
    Includes ch/Bcg
    NRA lower
    Under 200 rds thru it
    400 rds of ammo
    These uppers are 1250 when you can find them not counting ammo n lower
    98% condition
    Asking $ 1350 plus shipping
    Venture Surplus ad

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    I'll say up front that I really don't know all the values of the components listed but it's my understanding that to simply change from .223 to 300 BLK requires only a barrel change and gas tune up. It's just gonna' depend on what you want on/in your AR.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I thought the point of the 300BLK was to suppress it. The round is somewhat anemic for a .30 caliber if you aren't going to suppress. A permanent flash hider makes no sense to me on these rifles.

Just my thoughts. As far as price I have no clue there.

kusai

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    Bedford TX
    I have a 300 blk sbr sitting for a year now. And snag it while you can, the noveske uppers are harder to find itself.

Sent from the black hole

Last edited:

35Remington

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Way out here
    Rifle is now $1200 shipped. Trying to decide if the permanently attached flash hider is a deal breaker. I would like to suppress a .300 BLK, although that will likely happen far into the future.

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    Just remember if you want to suppress it later it will cost at least 100 bucks to get that flash hider chopped off then the barrel rethreaded and crowned. Id pass, seems like ok components with a nice barrel. I believe that's the guy on AR15.com that was all excited about his new gun only a couple weeks ago and is now wanting to sell it. Personally I think the giant flash hiders are tacky looking. If I were you Id just wait and buy components when theyre on sale and build you a nice 300blk. If you don't reload, right now is not the time to get into 300blk.

Dredge

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    Spring
    1Slow hit the nail on the head.
    The permanently attached flash hider is a no go. What you may gain in a good deal is eliminated by the pinned/welded flash hider.

Last edited:

smittyb

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Cut N Shoot
    I thought the point of the 300BLK was to suppress it. The round is somewhat anemic for a .30 caliber if you aren't going to suppress. A permanent flash hider makes no sense to me on these rifles.

Just my thoughts. As far as price I have no clue there.
    Exactly. It was called 300 WHISPER for a reason. As a supersonic .30 cal, it's a Pretty shit design.
    It does go to show you what effective marketing can do, though.

winchster

Right Wing Extremist
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Justin, TX
    Exactly. It was called 300 WHISPER for a reason. As a supersonic .30 cal, it's a Pretty shit design.

So, I suppose you think both the 30-30 winchester and the ak 47 shoot "shit design"(sic) as well?

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    Numerous dead animals all across the country beg to differ. Its amazing what SAAMI'ing a good cartridge will do to its popularity. Ive never seen any big marketing push for this cartridge, just a versatile round that works just fine and with some NFA stamps can do some really cool stuff.

smittyb

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Cut N Shoot
    So just because a cartridge can kill animals, it's a good design? That's really the standard?
    Note that I said as a supersonic .30 cal. As a .30 cal that uses a standard AR-15 bolt, it's not bad, although probably not as good as a 7.62x40 WT.
    I have seen model 700's chambered in 300 BLK. Do we really think that as a SUPERSONIC Round, the 300 BLK is the best we can do in a 700?
    As far as a marketing push, I may have chose the wrong words. Let me give you an example, though. I am a fan of the 6.5 Grendel. Since it has gained SAAMI certification, how many articles have you seen on it in mainstream gun rags? Not shotgun news or varmint hunter, I'm talking G&A, Shooting Times, American Rifleman and the like? Now how about the 300 BLK? Yeah, a whole heck of a lot more.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    So just because a cartridge can kill animals, it's a good design? That's really the standard?

In supersonic, it performs about as well as a 30-30 or 7.62x39 (as Winchster implied), so given it's subsonic attributes, it's decent supersonic performance is a bonus.

I have seen model 700's chambered in 300 BLK. Do we really think that as a SUPERSONIC Round, the 300 BLK is the best we can do in a 700?

Why does it HAVE to be the "best we can do" in a 700? Most of the 300BLK 700's I have seen have threaded barrels. Subsonic 300BLK from a suppressed bolt gun = very quiet hog rifle. Sounds pretty damn appealing to me.

smittyb

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Cut N Shoot
    In supersonic, it performs about as well as a 30-30 or 7.62x39 (as Winchster implied), so given it's subsonic attributes, it's decent supersonic performance is a bonus.

Why does it HAVE to be the "best we can do" in a 700? Most of the 300BLK 700's I have seen have threaded barrels. Subsonic 300BLK from a suppressed bolt gun = very quiet hog rifle. Sounds pretty damn appealing to me.
    So you are saying its a great for suppressing, and performs as well Supersonic as a round developed in 1895.
    Yeah, sounds like a winner.

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    Note that I said as a supersonic .30 cal. As a .30 cal that uses a standard AR-15 bolt, it's not bad, although probably not as good as a 7.62x40 WT.
    As far as a marketing push, I may have chose the wrong words. Let me give you an example, though. I am a fan of the 6.5 Grendel. Since it has gained SAAMI certification, how many articles have you seen on it in mainstream gun rags? Not shotgun news or varmint hunter, I'm talking G&A, Shooting Times, American Rifleman and the like? Now how about the 300 BLK? Yeah, a whole heck of a lot more.
    I bet its covered by the gun rags more because its a more popular caliber and I bet its really popular because its a terrible cartridge. Yep makes perfect sense. Get off the internet and out in the real world. It does just fine with supers, my 125 sierra load is accurate enough and packs enough wallop at 500 yds to demolish an 8" limestone rock with me leaning up against a tree for support. It works just fine, sure theres better super calibers but it gets the job done and when hogs come out to my feeder I can throw a mag of subs in and clear my feeder pen without having to worry about scaring off the deer that may be headed to my feeder. Plus subs are just fun to play with. Its not for everyone, just like a 50bmg isnt.

The main point I make to people who piss on the 300blk super performance is its almost identical to 7.62x39 which is the most widely used cartridge in the world so apparently it gets the job done just fine.

Top Bottom