• ...and so much more!
  • mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    What do you guys with both do to label your mags?

I earmarked 3 steel 20 rounders for 300BLK and scribed 300 in silver sharpie.
    Lynx Defense

OnyxATX

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 24, 2013
    Austin, TX
    I don't run 300 blackout, however I do run 5 types of ammo in my AR. (5.56 / 223 mixed target, M855, 193, "pest" rounds, hot TSX)

I have them all in different racks on the shelf, so I know what is what when I grab a mag without looking and then I have tape on the bottom of the mags labeling what they are. Aside from the XM193 which is always unmarked.

Honestly, having them loaded up in different stacks really helps more than the tape when I'm grabbing something to head out. Another good option is to have windowed for one type, no window for the other if you run pMags.

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    I have lightweight metal baskets that separate all the mags.
    So yes, that's very helpful when loading up.

I peel the label off the box and slide it in the mag to ID the ammo loaded.
    And that's how I've been keeping them segregated.

However, once at the range and all my crap is laid out, I want to be able to ID a mag quickly and easily to prevent an issue.
    Painting sounds like a reasonable option.

A.Texas.Yankee

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    NTX
    Man! That pretty much made me wanna stay away from .300blk now on my next build. Looks like .458 it is!

Sent from my LG-LS995 using Tapatalk

rsayloriii

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    H-Town, TX
    Wouldn't it be opposite? A 5.56 may fire in a 300 blackout chamber?

If you're paying attention like you should be, 300 black is significantly different than 5.56. That, and I have a hard time believing that a .308 cal projectile will fit in a chamber for a .224 projectile. With that said, I don't own a 300 black, so I can't say for sure what the chamber measures out to.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I made my 300 a FDE gun, and only use FDE P mags in the 300. Only the 556 uses black mags and GI steel mags

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    223 is longer than 300blk so it would keep the bolt open. 300blk will slam home in a 223 chamber quite easily as can be seen by half a dozen posts on the internet of dumbasses firing 300blk in a 223 barrel. Ive never understood what is so hard about firing the right ammoIf youre practicing safe shooting like you should be then that includes checking your mags. Ive shot literally thousands of rounds worth of 300blk and never evn come close to chambering the wrong round. Some people use lancers or different colored pmags to keep the cartridges separate.

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    I work at a nuke plant and human engineering is a part of the program drilled into my DNA.
    Barriers to prevent mating wrong components or parts is easy enough to do and keeps routine activities from becoming catastrophes.

In this case, an obvious visual barrier is easy to do and just plain smart.

rsayloriii

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    H-Town, TX
    223 is longer than 300blk so it would keep the bolt open. 300blk will slam home in a 223 chamber quite easily as can be seen by half a dozen posts on the internet of dumbasses firing 300blk in a 223 barrel. Ive never understood what is so hard about firing the right ammoIf youre practicing safe shooting like you should be then that includes checking your mags. Ive shot literally thousands of rounds worth of 300blk and never evn come close to chambering the wrong round. Some people use lancers or different colored pmags to keep the cartridges separate.

Interesting. I've been reading those threads this morning and there's got to be at least a couple dozen posts saying that the bolt won't normally close without force, thus setting back the projectile in the case. Again, I don't have personal knowledge, just going off what I've been reading.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LandenR
    Top Bottom