• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    So I've been running this gun for about a year. Really like it a lot, but it does not like subs. I've tried a few different companies. It either jams, won't feed or round only loads half way. It's not a big deal really because I shoot subs about 1% of the time. It's more of a novelty thing when I get a wild hair. My 556/223 has an adjustment. But I can't find anything like that on this rifle. I'm still learning the black guns.... Can anyone shed light on this? why some guns have adjustment and some don't?

https://ty1gp1y141k12fk1dp5xpx1a-wp...ntent/uploads/2016/11/R16SFSDHHT-300-MSRP.pdf
    Target Sports

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    An adjustable gas block regulates the amount of back pressure that cycles the bolt. Subsonic ammo has less back pressure then full strength loads. To compensate for the lower pressure. An adjustable gas block can be set to allow more gas to reach the bolt. Cycling it. Back pressure can also be increased by using a suppressor. The gas trying to leave the suppressor causes an increase in the back pressure.

Non-adjustable gas blocks can be adjusted by increasing the size of the hole in the gas block. Drilling it out to a larger size. The deal with that is it's 'tuned' to a specific load and a specific back pressure. When it's correct, the rifle will run like a clock....with that specific load. Subsonic ammo will give mixed results.

On your rifle. Since you run very little subsonic. It's not enough reason to adjust or change the gas block. It's not set up for sub sonic. If you want it to cycle properly using subs. Install an adjustable gas block.

outdare

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 24, 2009
    Cumby
    When you run subs, there is not enough gas to cycle the bcg. You can get a lighter buffer, adjustable gas block or replace the gas tube with a shorter one such as a pistol tube.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

lonestardiver

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Eagle Mountain Lake area
    You are probably thinking of an adjustable gas block.

There are several factors in running subsonics... less gas pressure to operate the action on a gas gun. The length of the gas system and the resulting dwell time...time the bullet is between the gas port and the end of the barrel.

Adjustable gas ports are decided upon when built. They also allow for better fine tuning of the rifle for a particular round.

You can replace the gas block with an adjustable one so you can go from supersonic high pressure rounds to low pressure subsonic rounds and maintain operability. Use of a can will alter pressures as well....

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Chasewhat0
    Top Bottom