• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texas Patriot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Spring
    What would you want to use it for? If its deer we're talking about, I think in terms of smaller stuff. I shoot most deer with a .243. But lately have been using a .270 just because it is the gun passed on down to me from my dad.

Lots of guys use magnums and such, and that's fine if its what you want to do, but for me, its too much gun. I spend time practicing and I know that shot placement is more key generally than the size of the bullet that gets placed there.

kingofwylietx

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    My opinion would depend on its intended use. All animals native to Texas can be taken with a 25.06. If you plan to hunt something exotic or take extreme shots, then a .300 may be useful. One thing the .300 will give you, is a little more fudge factor for what may normally be a bad shot (considering the energy of the round).

I have never shot one, but would think it would have quite a kick.

mag

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    The "fudge factor " can be important if you are stalking or for some reason just do not a perfect set up . It can make the difference between dropping it right there and having to go look for it . Also the real "big" calibers do not have to "mess up " alot of meat if you do it right . I have taken many deer with many different calibers and my 8mm mag does the least amout of damage to the deer . I bring it when I think I may be shooting at 400 yards + , but sometimes a good deer shows up at 100 . The 8mm mag with a 220 grain bullet going about 3000 fps just makes a 8mm hole going in and a 8mm hole going out . The internal shock wave drops them in their tracks . I have had no meat damage on the 3 that I got . I was very surprised the first time . mag

Enron Exec

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    Behind 16 rnds of 9x19mm
    Well like everything, there are goods and bads. Its up to you to decide if the goods out weight the bads for your specific needs.

I like 30 cal magnums. They can do anything needed on this continent. You can select bullets that will do less damage if your hunting smaller game for meat.

The major trade off with short magnums is they tend to wear out the neck of the rifling faster due to higher pressures.

And most magnums will have slightly longer barrels and some models will have heavier receivers all adding weight to your hike.

And then there is the more aggressive recoil. One has to work harder to not develop a flinch. It helps to have a good stock with a comfy cheeck weld and a scope with good eye relief too.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Gilly
    Top Bottom