• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Deavis

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 20, 2011
    Austin
    What's your tac recipe for 175s and 180s Deavis. I thought about trading away some TAC but I keep reading that it does well in the 308. Maybe I should hold what I've got. Feel free to PM me if you don't want to hijack this thread

I'm stuck on 168s for my 308 loading and haven't tried TAC with anything heavier so I can't give you a good one there. We don't get to shoot long range enough to mess with what I know works in the two LR 308s that I own personally.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    I'm fresh out of 168 SMKs or I'd be right there with you. Never stretch mine over 200. Luckily I did secure 500ea, 175s and 180s. Already had 500 175smks. I'll poke around the web and see what's working for others. Figured the magnum match primers would be fine with TAC.

MrRobot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2021
    Matrix, TX
    Still haven't found any large rifle primers in the last couple of weeks. One small rifle primers I been buying

Now that you mention magnum primers. I know for my 223 since we were low on regular primers I bought CCI 450 magnum primers and they work fine for my load.

Now for 308 or 6.5 would large magnum be a good idea for those? I one book if the reloading manual doesn't day use magnum don't use them. I'm a little confuse about that statement if that is true or not.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    It's really trial and error like so many other things in the reloading world. A year or two ago I tested reg v mag primers SXS in 357 magnum load and the mag primers were slower across all charges. The general rules for magnum primers in a rifle are only needed in sub freezing temperatures or case capacity over 60gr. However many sources recommend magnum primers with certain powders or ball powders in rifles.

Naturally you would either know that by experience or look it up somewhere. In my case having worked with TAC a while, I know it's a pretty fine grained ball powder so I think it's worth some experimentation. I'm sitting on 2k fed210s,2k fed215s and 4k fed215M. I also have 1k fed 210M. My other options are CCI mag rifle or Winchester. Since I have more magnum than standard primers I'm hoping they're a viable option.

I'm loading for a bolt gun and a gasser so the magnums would be nice in the floating pin rifle.

popper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    Gordon's reloading tool has the 168 bt as an entry. I use the 168 Amax, good results. From AR10, changed to henry LongRanger, still work fine. I've got an extra brick of CCI LRP, willing to part with some, FTF DFW. PM.

Top Bottom