• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I know Berger recommends seating their bullets into the lands b/c they are longer than most. Those Bergers have some great BCs. I have some 190s that I have been meaning to work a load up for.

The ogive is so high that they pretty much have to be in the lands. That's why the BC is so good, because the long ogive prevents a secondary shock wave where the ogive and shank interface. Granted, as air density migrates so does the propensity for the second shock wave. The Accubonds and other "ballistic tip" designs have standard rifle ogives (not VLD) and as such the shock wave forms, adding considerable drag.

But with the .308 loads, you maintain supersonic flight for just about every range in Central Texas. Beyond 500+ is where the VLD Bergers should make a difference, due to maintaining velocity.

That's why I'm looking to stick with SMKs and A-Maxs.
    Gun Zone Deals

AusTex

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Austin, Texas

Like you said not sure about the 1:11 .. however i still know people that have shot 155's out of those guns with great success.. might be worth trying.

Old Man of the Mountain

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    42 grains of RL15 under a 168 grain SMK in Hornady match brass. Winchester large primer. Sized to fit the mag. Works very well in my friends Supermatch M1A. I have heard some 'internet discussion' about how Winchester primers are too sensitive for M1As and can cause slam fires. I don't know if that is true, but its never happned to me and I have shot a lot of reloads through a H&K G3. Not a M1A, but there you are..

There is the same talk about Winchester primers in an AR-10 as well, but never had a single slam fire out of at least 3000 WLR primers in my AR-10's.

Might happen tomorrow, but not so far.

I bought a lot of them before I ever heard that warning, have not used them all up yet.

Old Man of the Mountain

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    A friend of mine developed a load off some old load data that worked well for him, and a few of us tried it and it worked well for us too.

175 SMK BT HP, H-380 43.5 gr, Lapua brass.

He gets some nearly same hole groups with his bolt action, mine were under 1 MOA in a semi auto.

Worked well for everyone who tried it so far.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    A friend of mine developed a load off some old load data that worked well for him, and a few of us tried it and it worked well for us too.

175 SMK BT HP, H-380 43.5 gr, Lapua brass.

He gets some nearly same hole groups with his bolt action, mine were under 1 MOA in a semi auto.

Worked well for everyone who tried it so far.

Cool, thanks.

I'll see if I can get my friend to cook this load up with the H-380.

Top Bottom