• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    Although I've been shooting and hunting for over 25 years now, I just got around to buying a .308. Specifically a Howa 1500, 20 inch HB rifle. I already reload for 11 different calibers and really don't need the burden but as usual, I can't leave well enough alone.

I am looking for a paper punching load for accuracy but I may also use it as a back up deer, hog or coyote rifle. As far as bullet selection, it seems you can't top the sierra match kings for accuracy so the 168gr SMKs make my short list. I also like the idea of some 150gr hornady SSTs for 4 legged critters.

As far as powder, I have Tac, H335, H and IMR4895, H4198, H414, Varget, IMR 4831, BlC2 and a few others in hand.

The hunting load doesn't need to be sniper accurate but I would like to keep it around 1 MOA if possible. I do expect the 168 gr load to be sub moa all day. I have a comparator on hand and plan on measuring the distance to lands on the rifle before I decide on an OAL for each respective bullet.

Any input here is appreciated. I know every rifle is different but there have to be several proven loads out there that will achieve these goals.

Thanks gents - Texmex
    Capitol Armory ad

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Congrats on the howa. I got one is 6.5 Swede. Can’t really speculate on your question without knowing your twist rate. I could just look it up but I won’t. Why take the fun and conversation out of it?

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Look at the Hornady 165gr SSTs. Accurate and great hunting bullets.

Worked up a load for a rifle years ago using IMR4064 and four different rifles shoot sub MOA with it. Two bolt guns (Savages) and two autoloaders (DPMS LR308s).

4895 and Varget should do well if you don't want a new powder.

0.020" off the lands is my go to OAL when testing. Usually don't see the need to test jump further once charge is dialed in.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    That's what I'm talking about Bdipper ! I'm really wanting to make Tac or BL-c2 work for some plinking rounds but I'm not opposed to restocking Varget or 4064 if it works that well under SMKs. Probably only have a pound each of the latter two. What primers are y'all running BTW?

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    Interesting about 4064 in the 223. Never thought to try that powder with the 223. Long ago I had a sub moa Ar load put together with H4198 but it wouldn't cycle the bolt in my carbines.

It's a luxury to not have to worry about running a gas system since I'm loading specifically for a bolt gun. Kind of a game changer as far as powder choices.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Interesting about 4064 in the 223. Never thought to try that powder with the 223. Long ago I had a sub moa Ar load put together with H4198 but it wouldn't cycle the bolt in my carbines.

It's a luxury to not have to worry about running a gas system since I'm loading specifically for a bolt gun. Kind of a game changer as far as powder choices.
    I had it and 4895 when working up my load so I tried it.

IMR4895 wasn't notable but the IMR4064 was stellar.

Results posted in same thread as above. 75gr Hornady bthp Match in my 1:9 Savage.

H4198 is finicky in ARs. The pressure curve timing is wrong. It can be done but most people just go with a better powder choice.

Top Bottom