• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    The copperheads are plentiful on the property this year and I decided to work up a load for my favorite "walking" gun - a single six in .32 h&r. Here is what I've worked up so far:

CCI primer
    2.6 grains Unique
    Approx 62 grains of #12 shot

I used an empty casing to punch plastic wads out of some thin plastic sheeting - about as thick as a margarine tub. I placed one wad been the powder and shot, and another on to of the shot. I crimped the load and filled the end with elmer's glue.

At about three yards it patterned great on a pizza box. I'm not eager to try then on a poisonous reptile, but I'll update you when I do.
    Military Camp

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    The copperheads are plentiful on the property this year and I decided to work up a load for my favorite "walking" gun - a single six in .32 h&r. Here is what I've worked up so far:

CCI primer
    2.6 grains Unique
    Approx 62 grains of #12 shot

I used an empty casing to punch plastic wads out of some thin plastic sheeting - about as thick as a margarine tub. I placed one wad betwwen the powder and shot, and another on top of the shot. I crimped the load and filled the end with elmer's glue.

At about three yards it patterned great on a pizza box. I'm not eager to try them on a poisonous reptile, but I'll update you when I do.

I'm typing on a phone so please forgive the errors in my first post. I CAN spell!

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    Here is a photo:

Attachments

• WP_20171019_20_59_44_Pro.jpg
      WP_20171019_20_59_44_Pro.jpg
      301.6 KB · Views: 169

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    It didn't take long. Made it to my place near Zavalla about six this evening. Stepped out of the truck to open the gate and there was a small copperheads between me and the gate. .32 mag shotshells 1, copperheads. 0. I may add a few grains to the charge.

motorcarman

Compulsive Collector
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 13, 2015
    Rural Wise County, TX.
    I know that the only shot shell capsules are .38, 44 & 45.
    The advantage of the capsules is increased shot volume.
    That is why I use 357 MAXIMUM cases necked to .360 to fit the cylinder chambers if I use the wad and glue method you mentioned. That way I get the shot ALL THE WAY to the end of the cylinder.

bob

motorcarman

Compulsive Collector
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 13, 2015
    Rural Wise County, TX.
    You could get more powder/shot if you get some 7.62 x 38R Nagant cases and neck down the end that fits in the front section of the cylinder.
    I loaded a dozen or so for my M1895 Nagant revolvers but the cases go all the way through the cylinder on those anyway. I used the wads and glue like you did but no neck sizing required with the Nagant.

Just an idea to get more volume.

bob

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    The Nagant brass idea sounds promising. I think I may even have some brass, but it may be berdan primed. .327 mag cases wont fit into the .32 mag cylinder as they are thicker at the base.

Kosh75287

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2008
    Nemo
    Going up 1/10th grain (or more) is probably okay, but check the patterns carefully it's easy to go from "weak load/nice pattern" to "stronger load/half-moon pattern" with only a few charge adjustments.

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    You know, you are probably right. If it ain't broke - no need to fix it. They patterned well at 2.6 grains of Unique, so I might just load another batch.

Kosh75287

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2008
    Nemo
    Don't let ME stop you from trying to improve things. If you can get more power with good patterning, get more power! I just brought up the "half-moon" patterns so that you'd be watchful for it happening.

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    Actually, I got to thinking about it...

With 2.6 grains and approx a 60-62 grain payload, they are moving about 700-750 fps. That is more than enough to ventilate a belly-crawlin' reptile, without fear of bouncing off branches, rocks, etc.

motorcarman

Compulsive Collector
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 13, 2015
    Rural Wise County, TX.
    The reload guestimate of 2.6 grains for 60gr is probably for a solid (gas sealing) projectile so you will have to adjust for a 'porous' load of shot with escaping gases past the payload (unless the wad is a really good seal?)

You might try a chronometer to verify??

bob

Kosh75287

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2008
    Nemo
    After you charge the primed brass, then put the plastic cut-out circle over it, do you fill the case to the edge of the case mouth with #12 shot and put another plastic cut-out over it? I'm wondering if, instead of the second plastic "dot" on top, you could seal it with a .313" ball. The result would be a sort of "buck and ball" arrangement, though on a far smaller scale. It sounds like the arrangement you have now works pretty well. I just hate to put a piece of plastic in the payload, if a projectile of some sort can be put in place of it.

Top Bottom