• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    This round has been out for a few years now, and there's still not a whole of info. on it. There's a twofold reason for my curiosity of this round. The first being, a lady friend of mine is finally interested in getting a home defense gun, but, absolutely refuses, under any circumstance, to consider a semi-auto. And doesn't want a rifle/carbine or shotgun either. So that pretty much leaves a revolver as the option of choice. She is a very petite lady that has some various arthritis, grip, and muscular issues as well as being somewhat recoil sensitive so I'm thinking a Ruger SP101 or LCR/LCRX in this offering might fit the bill for her. - Thoughts?

Second part is for me. Some of y'all that know me have seen some of my physical limitations and liabilities, and I'm thinking that with things not getting better and the arthritis and such in the process of getting worse with time/age, that this might just be a good option for me as well in the longer run. - Thoughts?

texasnurse

Well-Known
    Jul 30, 2016
    Thoughts .38 Special

Sent with my IPhone with electronics and fuzzy logic...

Last edited:

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I agree with looking at a heavy revolver in .38 Special.

The 327 is a dying round as far as I am concerned. I don't see ammo getting more available or cheaper anytime soon.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    327 puts 6 rounds in traditionally 5 shot revolvers.

Seeing as you aren’t concealed carry, I’d at least get a full size gun, and the benefits are nil at that point.

I'd up vote the suggestion for the. 38 Special. From what I've seen the 327 Mag. isn't a timid little round in smaller revolvers. A full size 357 K-frame with a 4" barrel, shooting some quality 38s should be a good fit. If more power is needed, move up to +P or 357 rounds.

I wished that the 327 had come out 40 years ago. It would have been a mainstream option before the wonder 9s came on the scene. Now days the revolver doesn't get much credit.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I agree with looking at a heavy revolver in .38 Special.
    Is heavy necessary? I realize weight reduces perceived recoil but the OP cited muscular issues, a factor that would lead me to look at lighter revolvers.

A 3" Ruger LCRx isn't too heavy for the most feeble to lift, has a decent out-of-the-box trigger (this lady doesn't sound like she'll be sending anything off for an action job.) and when stuffed with 148-grain HBWC target ammo doesn't kick much. (Yes, I'm so old that I still respect .38 wadcutters for defensive use. They're heavy enough to penetrate and that flat/almost cupped nose certainly cuts through tissue.)

If a .38 with wadcutters kicks too bad for her arthritis and recoil sensitivity, the same revolver can be had in .22LR and .22WMR. There are "defense" loads for the .22WMR these days (Hornady Critical Defense, Winchester Defender, and Speer Gold Dot) and though they don't work all that well they're certainly better than being afraid of your own revolver.

Given the problems cited by the OP...
    She is a very petite lady that has some various arthritis, grip, and muscular issues as well as being somewhat recoil sensitive
    I'd definitely go for a 3" LCRx over pretty much anything of similar size from Colt, S&W, or even the larger Rugers.

Absent those problems
    , I'd head off in completely different directions.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    I’d argue that full sized sights and a grip that fills her hand would be more important than being heavy.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Get a .22
    Recoil is a non-issue.
    Low ammo cost. Which will allow much more practice.
    IMO, practice is more important than caliber. What really counts is the fact you can hit a target and having a gun, any gun, with you when it matters.
    .327 is a fine round but Hory Clap its expensive.
    Many more gun choices. A nice steel framed revolver in .22 is a joy to shoot. A 4" J frame S&W(or similar size) would be perfect for smaller hands.
    Although the .22 isn't the best SD caliber it beats the snot out of a sharp stick. With Stingers or Mini-Mags it will work.
    And last but not least is re-sale. A .22 will be easy to sell. A .327 not so much.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    IMO, practice is more important than caliber.
    That's not your opinion; that's objectively demonstrable truth.
    A 4" J frame S&W(or similar size) would be perfect for smaller hands.
    I agree wholeheartedly. I like 'em for my big mitts, too.

However, the OP cited "arthritis, grip, and muscular issues". I've felt some triggers on new J-frames so bad that someone sufficiently frail would need two fingers to fire the gun double action, never mind being able to hit anywhere near where they wanted.

Byrd - Just how bad are these "arthritis, grip, and muscular issues"? Are they bad enough that she'd have a problem maintaining control while pulling a heavy double action trigger? Is she willing and able to practice with some regularity?

Most importantly, is she wanting you to just tell her what to get or is she willing to go to a shop, lift a few revolvers, pull a few triggers, and make the decision for herself? I'm comfortable with her accepting your word on .38 vs 327 vs 22LR vs 22WMR; I'm not so comfortable with her completely abdicating her responsibility to pick a model that feels good in her hand and that she can successfully operate.

smittyb

TGT Addict
    Nov 12, 2009
    Cut N Shoot
    There is no bigger 327 fan on this forum than me.
    As it has already been so eloquently laid out, it probably doesn't make sense in this situation.

Byrd666

Lifetime Member
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    Ben - Her physical issues are somewhat debilitating now. Not overly so at this time but, they have, and will/have get/gotten progressively worse with age. At this point, I would trust that she could pull the trigger on a somewhat stiff and oversprung revolver once or twice in "that" situation. But an afternoon at the range going through a few boxes ain't going to happen. She says still does quite a bit of stuff around the yard, like raking and bagging leaves and such but, that her time doing so is limited due to some of the pain and weakness in her hands and arms. As well as her legs and lower back. So an afternoons' work now takes her two or three days.

As far as shopping goes, I finally convinced her to go to a gunshow and put everything she could in her hands. And she did. EVERY revolver and revolver only. She informed me in no uncertain terms that she is not mechanically inclined (I agree) and would not consider anything else. That was when I found out that stipulation. She is also, with much convincing, willing to go to a renting range and try one out firsthand. Partial hurdles done. The only problem with the latter part of that is that she is dead set on trying out a Taurus M85 and that one only. Period. Not a whole lot of ranges carry that as a rental gun. She's also on the rather cheap side, hence the hardheadedness. I will overcome that hurdle eventually.

And that brings me to the reason for this thread. From what I could gather, this round is similar enough to a .357 Mag. that it would work very well for SD/HD situations. Aalso from what I gather, a revolver in this chambering is compatible with the H & R .32 Mag, .32 Long, .32 Short, and .32 auto, even if ejection is somewhat problematic with the latter. I was figuring this would give her a softer recoil while practicing yet, hard enough to stop the bad guy when needed.

She would be willing to just take my word for it I told her to go get a GP100 4" .357/.38 but, I would much prefer she gets something that fits Her hand, not mine, and that she can feel very comfortable shooting, carrying, and keeping on her nightstand. And since this an over the phone, 1300 mile away, type thing, it kinda makes my part in this a bit difficult.

Last edited:

smittyb

TGT Addict
    Nov 12, 2009
    Cut N Shoot
    Everything you have said makes great sense.
    Given that, "But an afternoon at the range going through a few boxesain't going to happen.", I don't see the versatility of 327 warranting the extra upfront or ammo cost.
    A 3" SP101 stoked with Hornady Lite 38's seems more logical.

Byrd666

Lifetime Member
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    smitty - I've never heard of the Hornady loads you speak of. I'll look into those. As far as my afternoon at the range comment, take it in context. Weak grip, arthritis, pain, etc. does not a fun time make when trying to pull the trigger on a stiff revolver multiple times in one afternoon. I've got good arm and hand strength and it can wear me out.

As for why the .327, I was thinking more along lines of recoil management in a relatively strong load.

Maybe I'm wrong. Won't be the first, or the last time

Last edited:

smittyb

TGT Addict
    Nov 12, 2009
    Cut N Shoot
    Here is the challenge with .327.
    Currently in production there is the LCR, SP101, and single seven.
    The SP101 has a 4.2" bbl, and is no lightweight.
    The single seven is huge, and single action.
    The LCR weighs one pound.
    .327 loads are stout. Even full power 32H&R mags out of a 16 ounce gun is gonna sting.
    The ideal solution would be a 3" SP101 in .327, which Ruger used to make. The prices have gone through the roof recently though.

Byrd666

Lifetime Member
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    Looks like I'll just put one of those down on my ever growing list of wants and desires.

Thanks for the education guys. I'd much rather hash things out here than lead her in the wrong direction.

Last edited:
    Well, if she shoots the Taurus M85 and learns the basics, using just about any other revolver isn't going to be a stretch for her.
    Now Taurus revolvers aren't bad of you get one that was put together well and don't plan on a ton of use. Just make sure the gun works in various angles and doesn't jam itself up if you accidentally, say, don't fully reset the trigger all the way forward before trying to pull the trigger again. Also the cylinder indexing should be checked. Just some basic advice from someone who has experienced some Taurus revolvers from the 1990s. They may have gotten better but I've not had a burning desire to find out.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

CPTKILLER

Dec 9, 2011
    Gatesville, TX
    I carry a Ruger LCRx in .327 Federal Magnum. It is great.
    Screen Shot 2018-04-11 at 1.39.16 PM.png

Top Bottom