.327 Federal Magnum

Mreed911

TGT Addict
BANNED!!!
Apr 18, 2013
Austin, TX
Was at Academy last night and saw something on their ammo shelf I'd never seen before. .327 Federal Magnum?

Had to research it on wikipedia, etc. Looks like a failed cartridge... anyone have experience with it?

It was expensive and they only had a few boxes. Clerk had no idea what it was.

-- Mike

Dawico

Uncoiled
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2009
Lampasas, Texas
That round barely even made it out of the gate. It was touted as the next best thing but then just died. I can see why. It does nothing that something else can't do better.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
TGT Supporter
Jul 16, 2008
Houston
Increasing the capacity of a snubnose magnum from 5 rounds to six was it's biggest selling feature, but that obviously wasn't enough to cut it.

Texas42

TGT Addict
Nov 21, 2008
Texas
That round barely even made it out of the gate. It was touted as the next best thing but then just died. I can see why. It does nothing that something else can't do better.
It puts 6 rounds in a 5 shot revolver. With reasonable numbers. Not saying I don't understand why it seems to have failed, but it is a niche cartridge that has a place.

n2pistols

Jan 6, 2013
Hurst, Texas
Was at Academy last night and saw something on their ammo shelf I'd never seen before. .327 Federal Magnum?

Had to research it on wikipedia, etc. Looks like a failed cartridge... anyone have experience with it?

It was expensive and they only had a few boxes. Clerk had no idea what it was.

-- Mike
I have a Ruger SP101 and when the 327 came out I looked for it but could not find any so I gave up. My Winchester 38's and Magtech 357's work just fine for me.

:flag:

dt300mm

TGT Supporter
Feb 22, 2009
Austin
check out the ballistics, with lighter bullets equal to or better than any .357 with much less recoil & muzzle blast. Not published but actual chronograph. I have a S&W mdl. 632 that I carry often. Taurus, Charter Arms, Ruger along with S&W chambered revolvers in it. The 115gr. Gold Dot clocks at an honest 1275 outa my 2.1" barrel 632. You can shoot several different cartridges in this little gem. Like the 32 H&R mag, effective with little recoil or blast. I've had great luck with women shooting the H&R mag. Seems like the gun scribes just didn't rave about the cartridge for some reason, maybe because it could easily replace the cherished .357 mag with lighter bullets... IMO

Dawico

Uncoiled
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2009
Lampasas, Texas
check out the ballistics, with lighter bullets equal to or better than any .357 with much less recoil & muzzle blast. Not published but actual chronograph. I have a S&W mdl. 632 that I carry often. Taurus, Charter Arms, Ruger along with S&W chambered revolvers in it. The 115gr. Gold Dot clocks at an honest 1275 outa my 2.1" barrel 632. You can shoot several different cartridges in this little gem. Like the 32 H&R mag, effective with little recoil or blast. I've had great luck with women shooting the H&R mag. Seems like the gun scribes just didn't rave about the cartridge for some reason, maybe because it could easily replace the cherished .357 mag with lighter bullets... IMO
I read many good reviews of it in magazines but it just didn't catch on.

Vaquero

San Saba Songbird
Apr 4, 2011
Out West
I can load a 125gr down to 1300 fps for my .357 mag. If I want to.

Top Bottom