.338-06 or .35 Whelen! Need help choosing!!!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HawkeyeSATX

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2014
    Alright! All of you aficionados that know a thing or 2!

I’m in a deep conundrum, and have a project rifle, a Savage 111, in .270 Win, that I want to convert to an ass kicking medium bore round, that will take everything from javelina to moose!

My 2 choices I’ve been debating in my head about are the .338-06, and the .35 Whelen!

I have found aftermarket switch out barrels for both:

.338-06, 24 inch barrel, 1 in 10 inch twist

.35 Whelen, 24 inch barrel, 1 in 14 inch twist

The .338 can handle heavy projectiles, up to 310gr. The .338 bullets have better BC and SD. There is a plethora of .338 cal bullets as well!

The .358 can possibly handle up to 310 gr bullets. There are a few weights for selection, but each one works quite well. The .358 has more bullet frontal area. A lot of the time, the .358 bullets of same bullet weights as the .338’s can gain more velocity.

The reason for pondering such calibers: Because I want something that can take a large variety of game, and Because I Can!!

Hawk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Lynx Defense

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    That's a pretty decent write-up, coming from Wikipedia. I would tend to agree with most of what it says about the adaptability and performance of the .338.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Are you forming your own brass if you go the 338 route? I dont think ive ever seen factory brass for it before

I had to look to make sure, but Nosler does have factory ammo for the 338-06. Very expensive though!

IIRC, the 35 Whelen is sort of limited run ammo from the factory though.

HawkeyeSATX

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2014
    Are you forming your own brass if you go the 338 route? I dont think ive ever seen factory brass for it before

It’s easy to form .338-06 from .270 or .30-06 brass, from what I have read. And there’s plenty of that brass around, another reason for choosing either.

Hawk

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    It’s easy to form .338-06 from .270 or .30-06 brass, from what I have read. And there’s plenty of that brass around, another reason for choosing either.

Hawk

I have a bare Model 700 action I bought some years ago, and one of the cartridges I considered was the 338-06. At the time, I can't recall factory ammo being available for it though. I had already planned on reloading anyways.

After looking at the prices I just linked, ain't no way I could afford factory ammo to shoot in it!

HawkeyeSATX

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2014
    I have a bare Model 700 action I bought some years ago, and one of the cartridges I considered was the 338-06. At the time, I can't recall factory ammo being available for it though. I had already planned on reloading anyways.

After looking at the prices I just linked, ain't no way I could afford factory ammo to shoot in it!

Either or is strictly a hand loading proposition for me, since prices on ammo for both are outrageous right now.

Components for either are fairly inexpensive.

Hawk

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    That’s what I’ve been thinking too! If I need to reach a little further out, then it will be easier with a .338 than the Whelen.

Hawk

I also looked, and @skfullgun is correct. There are also more 338 bullets to choose from than the 35 caliber. So that gives you more options for reloading as well.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    What a wonderful cartridge the 338-06 is but I know I would find more options with 35 whelen

Only if you don't reload. Reloading offers greater advantages regardless of which one he chooses. But there are more options and cheaper for the 35 Whelen in factory loaded ammo. Midway USA showed ten different version in various brands from about $50 to a little over $80 a box of twenty. Nosler carried only three versions for the 338-06, at $105 fro a box of twenty!

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Only if you don't reload. Reloading offers greater advantages regardless of which one he chooses. But there are more options and cheaper for the 35 Whelen in factory loaded ammo. Midway USA showed ten different version in various brands from about $50 to a little over $80 a box of twenty. Nosler carried only three versions for the 338-06, at $105 fro a box of twenty!
    I gave up reloading when the price advantage wasn’t great.

Top Bottom