• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ironworker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2019
    Nevada
    I have a Weatherby Mk V accumark in 338-378 . I hand load for it,trying to develop a load for it. I'll use it for long distance steel shooting. Bought used for a once in a life time price. Highly doubt I'll ever go to Alaska for bear and moose. . Anyhow I'm wondering what I can expect for accuracy in this rifle and then live with it. Shooting it standing up isn't bad but off the bench is a different story.( Its a beast) I bought a Terminator T4 muzzle brake and its amazing how much recoil reduction there is,but the muzzle blast its also another story.
    Military Camp

HKShooter65

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Welcome to a great gun web site.

I like the extremes.
    Tiny .17s and big bores.

Your 338-378 reloading sounds like a great project.
    Was once invited to shoot a Mark V 378 from a bench.
    Shot it.
    Just once we enough!!!

Keep us informed.
    Oh, and there is a whole category here devoted to reloading with lots of wisdom to be had for free.

Ironworker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2019
    Nevada
    Thanks everyone .I've installed a Ken Farrell Industries scope rail designed for this particular big boomer. Directions say re- tighten screws after first few shooting sessions,I did notice after zeroing rifle all of a sudden entire next group would be off ! So I removed scope and sure enough needed tightening. Directions said that's the scope base settling Other forums are saying I should put lock tight on all scope mounting screws .( but when,should I let the base settle some more?) Bought the rifle used under 40 rounds thru it. Already had a scope with leupold standard rings 30 rounds later scope wiggled like jello . I have that Terminator T4 brake on it,but after 20 rounds dang it that rifle is still a beast. Like all of you I love guns and reloading my own ammo. But I kinda wish I saved my cash and bought a 6.5 PRC. Its easier to buy a rifle than sell it. This rifle came with 5 boxes of brass,some new, rcbs dies Leupold 3.5-10 scope which I sold and 2 lbs of Retumbo powder.

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks everyone .I've installed a Ken Farrell Industries scope rail designed for this particular big boomer. Directions say re- tighten screws after first few shooting sessions,I did notice after zeroing rifle all of a sudden entire next group would be off ! So I removed scope and sure enough needed tightening. Directions said that's the scope base settling Other forums are saying I should put lock tight on all scope mounting screws .( but when,should I let the base settle some more?) Bought the rifle used under 40 rounds thru it. Already had a scope with leupold standard rings 30 rounds later scope wiggled like jello . I have that Terminator T4 brake on it,but after 20 rounds dang it that rifle is still a beast. Like all of you I love guns and reloading my own ammo. But I kinda wish I saved my cash and bought a 6.5 PRC. Its easier to buy a rifle than sell it. This rifle came with 5 boxes of brass,some new, rcbs dies Leupold 3.5-10 scope which I sold and 2 lbs of Retumbo powder.
    It's all good. You own it. In time.. your can get ya a PRC. A buddy just bought one. Can't wait to shoot it and see what it's all about.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I have a Weatherby Mk V accumark in 338-378 . I hand load for it,trying to develop a load for it. I'll use it for long distance steel shooting. Bought used for a once in a life time price. Highly doubt I'll ever go to Alaska for bear and moose. . Anyhow I'm wondering what I can expect for accuracy in this rifle and then live with it. Shooting it standing up isn't bad but off the bench is a different story.( Its a beast) I bought a Terminator T4 muzzle brake and its amazing how much recoil reduction there is,but the muzzle blast its also another story.
    I have no idea on where to start for an accurate load for it or how accurate it might be.

I'd love to shoot it though.

Ironworker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2019
    Nevada
    I have some one recommending I shoot Barns 160 gr TTSX bullets. He says very accurate ,super fast and low recoil. But will these bullets with 120grs of powder burn my bbl up quicker ? I won't be hunting with this rifle just long range steel

HKShooter65

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    160 grain solid copper bullets are ultra light and enter the "exotic" area with the big .338 bore.

A buddy and I loaded some 225gr Nosler Accubond bullets 10 days ago and I those were at the LIGHT end of the .338 spectrum!

Working backwards......
    The big 338-378 generates around 5,000 ft lbs with usual loads.

To achieve that energy the 160 grainers would be zipping along at about 3,745 feet per second.

Wow. Pretty zippy.

Last edited:
    Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Josephn58333
    Top Bottom