• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CrazyHorse89

Jul 27, 2009
    Cypress, TX
    I need some advise, I just bought a SS Smith and Wesson Police issued gun Model 66 1st Edition. I got it on a Trade and was finally able to shoot it after a week of owning it, and I don't think I'm gonna get my Trade back.

Here is my problem

I shot only .357 MAG Federal Rounds out of it. and about 2 of the chambers, I'm having a hell of a time Ejecting the Fired Shells out of it. Very Very Tight.

I have to basically hit the Ejection rod Hard to get the shells out, BTW i cleaned it real good b4 i shot it
    My Fried says to Get rid of the Gun, that I have a Gun that has been shot too much, with too many 357 rounds.

Thing Is I don't want to Get Rid of the gun.:mad:

Help, Adivse, Suggestions, any thing..

Please Advise
    Lynx Defense

Seabear1500

Mar 21, 2009
    Corpus Christi
    Having it checked out by a good gunsmith is great advise.

Now, having said that I'll tell you what just came to my mind while reading your post.

If the two chambers that get the cases stuck are next to each other, it was more than likely caused by someone that kept .38 spl shot shells in those two chambers. If they were fired often and then just replaced with two more, a ring of residue can be built up at the .38spl case length which is shorter than .357 . I carry a revolver for snakes, rats and whatever at the ranch, and I always load the same two chambers while the others carry full load .357 for whatever else needs shooting.

I would clean those chambers really well put some solvent on them and let them set a few minutes then clean real well with a brass brush. I have seen some so bad over the years that took lots of cleaning and finally requided the brush be put in a drill to work it over faster.

This is just MHO your MMV.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Just shooting any .38 SPL from a .357 will do that, not just snake shot. Sounds to me like that's what you have going on. Get some foaming bore cleaner (you can get Break Free foam at Academy), follow the directions and give your cylinder a good cleaning. You might have to clean them three or four times.

If that doesn't work, some gunsmiths have a special reamer to clean the build-up out of the chambers.

tex45acp

Mar 13, 2008
    South Central Texas
    As txinvestigator said "Call S&W"

Smith & Wesson has excellent customer service and a lifetime warranty on their firearms. Call them and tell them what you have and more than likely they will send a call ticket to have it shipped to them for "Factory" repairs. More than likely a bit of polishing will take care of this situation, unless the bores are not concentric any more. If that is the case they will most likely replace the cylinder.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LandenR
    Top Bottom