• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DCortez

TGT Addict
    Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    Took a peek at a 1917, may have to throw that into the mix. Overall though, I'm leaning towards the .357.

I don't handload, at least not yet.

juwaba98

Well-Known
    May 9, 2008
    North Zulch, TX
    D,

I've got it figured. (1) Ruger GP100, (1) Ruger Super Redhawk, (1) S&W 686, and finally (1) S&W 629. At least that's what I would buy in your situation. And no, it's not in order of preference, it is a list of what to buy. HTH

CJS3

Nov 30, 2008
    Katy
    Get a GP100, and a Redhawk, just to cover all the bases. Roll your own and you'll be able to weather any ammo shortage, or stop any antagonist whether they be two or four legged.;)

DCortez

TGT Addict
    Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    D,

I've got it figured. (1) Ruger GP100, (1) Ruger Super Redhawk, (1) S&W 686, and finally (1) S&W 629. At least that's what I would buy in your situation. And no, it's not in order of preference, it is a list of what to buy. HTH

Get a GP100, and a Redhawk, just to cover all the bases. Roll your own and you'll be able to weather any ammo shortage, or stop any antagonist whether they be two or four legged.;)

+1

What the doctor ordered

tex45acp

Mar 13, 2008
    South Central Texas
    DCortez,

Actually, if you are not in a hurry, you might be able to find a Redhawk in both .357mag and .44mag. I have a 3" GP-100 that I had "cleaned up" by Gemini Customs that I really love to carry and shoot.
    HPIM0776.jpg

HPIM0779.jpg

My favorite caliber is actually between the two....a .41magnum. I have three and one is a gun I customized myself. I cut the barrel to 4" and did a trigger job as well as some smoothing of the sharp edges over the whole gun. It is incredibly accurate and is definately a handloaders dream since .41mag ammo is getting harder and harder to find. Luckily I have over 3000 rounds handloaded and plenty more supplies to do so with. Here is my custom Redhawk:

4inchRight.jpg

4inchLeft.jpg

ColdDeadHands

Jan 2, 2009
    Houston, TX
    I had been eyeballing a GP100 for a while, but, wanted to hear some opinions. May change my wishlist from .357 mag to .44 mag

Thinking 4" but maybe 6", trench sites, stainless, Ruger or S&W.

Uses? Hell, who really cares
    got ammo? either one cal is hard to find right now...at least at regular prices.

juwaba98

Well-Known
    May 9, 2008
    North Zulch, TX
    +1

The S&W feels good in the hand, but I'm still leaning towards Ruger. But you know how it is, you can't tell kids anything.

Don't get me wrong, I hope to get a 6-shot 686 one day, but the Ruger had to come first. I'm also jonesing for a 625, but that's a different matter entirely.

juwaba98

Well-Known
    May 9, 2008
    North Zulch, TX
    Are those stock grips with just the inset swapped out? I traded my stock grips for a Hogue grip and I must say that I really am contimplating the move back because I just found it more appealing...

Those are the grips that were on the gun when I bought it. They appear to be the stock grips, but since I bought it used I cannot say for certain.

Top Bottom