• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RoadRunner

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 30, 2018
    Here
    I am happy for you that it was so easy for you to quit your cigarette addiction, but that doesn't mean everyone is alike.

You are right, everyone is not alike. Most people have been programmed to believe that they need help to quit. Whether that 'help' is drugs, counseling or both makes no difference, they are doomed to struggle with it. And there are people like myself who realize that they have a choice as to whether they struggle with their addiction or just quit.

I 'tried' several times to quit before I actually quit. Then I realized that 'trying' to quit is not the same as quitting.

atticus finch

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2013
    Just for clarification, there are non-addictive people who are addicts, and there are addictive people who are addicts, is this what you are stating?
    I've stated the differences, the reasons for them and examples of both for them, if you don't understand at this point then there's nothing else I can offer you to help you understand.

RoadRunner

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 30, 2018
    Here
    I apologize to the OP for my participation in side tracking this thread. And again I would like to congratulate him on his accomplishment of being sober for 37 years. And I hate that he has had to struggle with it for so long.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Stories abound in the 12 step programs about "normies" looking at you and saying through their "thin blue lips" that you could quit if you really wanted to.

The 12 step programs, daily reading of program publications, people in the program, prayer and regular meetings can guide your progress and it worked for me. If you have short cuts that work for you, then have at it!

Flash

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    You are right, everyone is not alike. Most people have been programmed to believe that they need help to quit. Whether that 'help' is drugs, counseling or both makes no difference, they are doomed to struggle with it. And there are people like myself who realize that they have a choice as to whether they struggle with their addiction or just quit.

I 'tried' several times to quit before I actually quit. Then I realized that 'trying' to quit is not the same as quitting.
    What works for you isn't what works for everyone. I wouldn't have quit on my own, there are so many that I thank for that, but had I not quit, I would probably be dead. I was mentor and then a counselor, not for the prestige, but because I wanted to give back what was given to me. I certainly wasn't programmed in believing I needed counselling, because I had no intentions of quitting, I was in denial that I had a problem with drinking. I was mandated through the court to do counselling (deferred prosecution). I didn't know that blackouts wasn't normal or trying to drink more then others, there were many things I didn't know or want to know. I don't think I could have quit on my own, because I didn't understand my own addiction.

RoadRunner

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 30, 2018
    Here
    Stories abound in the 12 step programs about "normies" looking at you and saying through their "thin blue lips" that you could quit if you really wanted to.

The 12 step programs, daily reading of program publications, people in the program, prayer and regular meetings can guide your progress and it worked for me. If you have short cuts that work for you, then have at it!

Flash

I am glad that it worked for you. Whatever it takes for someone to stop drinking is good.

Last edited:

RoadRunner

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 30, 2018
    Here
    What works for you isn't what works for everyone. I wouldn't have quit on my own, there are so many that I thank for that, but had I not quit, I would probably be dead. I was mentor and then a counselor, not for the prestige, but because I wanted to give back what was given to me. I certainly wasn't programmed in believing I needed counselling, because I had no intentions of quitting, I was in denial that I had a problem with drinking. I was mandated through the court to do counselling (deferred prosecution). I didn't know that blackouts wasn't normal or trying to drink more then others, there were many things I didn't know or want to know. I don't think I could have quit on my own, because I didn't understand my own addiction.

Like I said before, you are right, what works for some doesn't work for others when it comes to quitting whatever they are addicted to.

Some people like myself have overcome their addiction. The other people have not overcome their addiction, they have just stopped using. But they are still addicted and have to struggle with it.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Although I haven't drank alcohol in about 28 years, I will be an alcoholic the rest of my life, for there is no cure, only abstinence, the same goes for drug addicts.

Top Bottom