SOLD SOLD - 1958 Ruger 3-Screw Single Six (DFW Area)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GoPappy

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 18, 2015
    SOLD!

I’m selling my Ruger 3-Screw Single Six. Based on my research on Ruger’s website, this one was made in 1958. It has a 5-digit serial number, which Ruger shows to be pre-1959. (I don’t like showing pics with serial numbers because of stories I’ve read about big tech bots collecting that data. If you’re interested, PM me and I’ll give it to you.)

https://ruger.com/service/productHistory/RE-SSixSM.html

This is the old model without the transfer bar, and this one is unmolested - i.e., it has NOT has not been converted by Ruger to include a transfer bar. It has that distinctive 3-click “old west” sound when cocked.

It’s in really good shape, especially for being 64 years old. Obviously, there’s wear on the bluing and there are some marks and wear. No box or papers, but I printed an owner’s manual that I'll include.

FTF, cash only, DFW area (Rockwall/Rowlett/Wylie area). Will need to see a DL or LTC. No trades. I’m only selling this to thin the herd. I’ve got more guns than my kids will want when I’m gone, so I’ll be selling off a few.

Note: The cylinder in this gun is not the original factory cylinder, and this gun has a bit of a strange history, which I’ll explain in a second post below.
    Target Sports

Attachments

• tempImagemAu2uP.png
      tempImagemAu2uP.png
      1.1 MB · Views: 253
    • tempImageO4RuPB.png
      tempImageO4RuPB.png
      1.1 MB · Views: 255
    • tempImageLIQppu.png
      tempImageLIQppu.png
      1,004.6 KB · Views: 246
    • tempImageTc7QSd.png
      tempImageTc7QSd.png
      1.2 MB · Views: 227
    • tempImageCh2V9T.png
      tempImageCh2V9T.png
      1,006.3 KB · Views: 208
    • tempImage7JMqlj.png
      tempImage7JMqlj.png
      1.1 MB · Views: 196
    • tempImageiQKXEf.png
      tempImageiQKXEf.png
      1.1 MB · Views: 200
    • tempImagePtrIRg.png
      tempImagePtrIRg.png
      1.1 MB · Views: 184
    • tempImage3NLXpQ.png
      tempImage3NLXpQ.png
      993.8 KB · Views: 182
    • tempImage9005EI.png
      tempImage9005EI.png
      688.9 KB · Views: 215
    Last edited:

GoPappy

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 18, 2015
    Ok, here's the rest of the story, as the late Paul Harvey would have said.

When I bought this a few years ago, it came with a .22 WMR cylinder instead of a .22 LR cylinder. (I didn’t realize that when I bought it.). When the Single Six was first created, it had a bore of .222 and the .22 WMR didn’t even exist. The .22 WMR needs a bore of .224, and Ruger didn’t start making the Single Six with a .224 bore until at least 1960 (and maybe even 1962).

Bottom line is that this gun was NOT made for .22 WMR. So I bought a .22 LR cylinder from a local gun shop and the gunsmith took it in the back to check the fit and function. He came back later and said it fit and functioned fine, and I haven’t had any issues with it.

BTW, I don’t see any evidence that anyone actually tried to fire .22 WMR through it. Some really exciting things (not good ones) would have happened if someone had tried that, and there’s no evidence of that I can see.

I’m not including the .22 WMR cylinder in this sale since it is not compatible with the gun.

Because of this history, I'm offering a full money-back offer with this gun. If you buy it and have any trouble with it or aren't happy with it, bring it back to me in the same condition and I'll happily refund your money.

GoPappy

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 18, 2015
    Yes, I would. It appears to be in good shape functionally, but it's not much to look at. If you're looking for a pretty one, this one may not be for you. PM me if you're interested and I'll send you a couple of pics.

GoPappy

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 18, 2015
    Some of you guys know a lot more about these than I do. If I'm off base on my price, let me know. I'm not desperate to sell it, but I'm also not trying to wring every last nickel out of this thing.

GoPappy

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 18, 2015
    One more price reduction. If it doesn’t sell at this price, I’ll just keep it.

GoPappy

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 18, 2015
    deemus, sorry about the late response. I’m in the Rockwall/Rowlett area, but could also meet in the Plano area or in the Mesquite/Garland area.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom