• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hobie Dog

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2008
    San Marcos, Texas
    Took my new SP 101 out this weekend. I didn't have a lot of time so I only got to shoot 50 rounds or so but it hit everything I pointed at just fine. Now, for some advise from some of you more experienced guys....

There wasn't major difference in recoil between .357 and 38+P but some. For CC is it better to be able to fire off more shots faster or recover from recoil? Trying to make best choice of ammo for my carry.
    Military Camp

mac79912

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    Shoot some more brands of ammo thru it until you figure out which one is best for you.You do not want something too powerful.A heavy recoil will cause a delay in reaquiring the target and you do not want that.

idleprocess

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW.com
    .357 seems to have a wider selection and better price point than .38SPL +P - probably because there are more .357 revolvers out there than .38SPL revolvers rated for +P, and a .357 revolver can handle anything that a .38SPL revolver can.

phatcyclist

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Check out the Speer Gold Dot low recoil/short barrel .357 rounds, I put a few of these through an aluminum/scandium .357 and was pleasantly surprised. I remember the Federal low recoil were anything but, I wouldn't recommend them in a pocket wheelgun.

idleprocess

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW.com
    An interesting article someone sent me.

Ammunition For The Self-Defense Firearm

I notice that this anonymous, unsourced author is a huge fan of the largely-discredited "fast and light" theory of ballistics. The author also argues that incapacitating an attacker (without killing them) is the goal of self-defense while skirting the obvious conclusion that death is the only surefire method of incapacitation when milliseconds count.

I completely lost interest once I came across this gem:
    Now it is time to impart some crucial information: NEVER use 147 grain ammo in a 9mm pistol! There was a stupid fad for 147 grain hollowpoints a few years ago, and many were suckered into buying these weak, worthless and malfunction-prone rounds. I don't care what you've heard: never use any 9mm hollowpoint heavier than 125 grains. 147 grain hollowpoints often jam in many popular 9mm guns like the Browning Hi-Power, SIG, Beretta 92, S&W and Glock. Ignore the gun magazine hype and stick to what works. If you want to gamble, go to Reno. Don't gamble with your life. 147 grain ammo sucks.

If there were a date on this article perhaps I could give the guy's article some credence for being obsolete, but 147gr seems to be the sweet spot nowadays on 9mm - be it Winchester Rangers or Federal HST's. All 147gr rounds I've used or seen used have caused no problems at all in any pistols.

Top Bottom