• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sobi1998

Well-Known
    Mar 18, 2016
    Some of you may know I just bought a new S&W .38 special. I’ve done research on the federal HST. I’ve searched all over the internet and every site is sold out.
    Is this a victim of the panic buying from corona?
    Or did it get discontinued?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Lynx Defense

studenygreg

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Oct 7, 2015
    I went to academy today and there is a lot more ammo than there was a month ago. It's getting better.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

sobi1998

Well-Known
    Mar 18, 2016
    I went to academy today and there is a lot more ammo than there was a month ago. It's getting better.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

All I found at academy was fmj. I mean, getting shot is getting shot but I guess it’s peace of mind.

45tex

TGT Addict
    Feb 1, 2009
    If you have to have defensive ammo now visit the expensive upitidy places like Carters Country. Nobody buys it there so they have more stockpiles.

OLDVET

Well-Known
    Dec 14, 2009
    Richardson, Texas
    I would be careful in buying defensive ammo just to have some. I have found that not all hollow point loads work well in a few of my pistols.
    I use Hornady Critical Defense in all of my pistols. The red insert in the tip of the bullet allows the bullet to function in all of my pistols.
    A personal defense weapon has to operate 100% of the time!

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    I would be careful in buying defensive ammo just to have some. I have found that not all hollow point loads work well in a few of my pistols.
    I use Hornady Critical Defense in all of my pistols. The red insert in the tip of the bullet allows the bullet to function in all of my pistols.
    A personal defense weapon has to operate 100% of the time!
    Maybe you need to be more careful as to which weapons you use for self defense. That you own a few pistols that apparently have failure to feed issues with hollow point ammunition may not be due to the ammunition but due to the pistols. I do not own any pistols that regularly have failure to feed problems with decent quality JHP ammo. Most commercially available ammo from well known manufacturers is of high enough quality that it should not cause such problems. If you are using decent quality ammunition and are having failure to feed issues, I would highly recommend you also check your pistols as being the possible source of the problem.

OLDVET

Well-Known
    Dec 14, 2009
    Richardson, Texas
    Maybe you need to be more careful as to which weapons you use for self defense. That you own a few pistols that apparently have failure to feed issues with hollow point ammunition may not be due to the ammunition but due to the pistols. I do not own any pistols that regularly have failure to feed problems with decent quality JHP ammo. Most commercially available ammo from well known manufacturers is of high enough quality that it should not cause such problems. If you are using decent quality ammunition and are having failure to feed issues, I would highly recommend you also check your pistols as being the possible source of the problem.
    I highly disagree with you. I have dealt with all kinds of firearms since my Army days back in 1968. I also spend a lot of time at local ranges. I see quality firearms fail to cycle due to certain types of factory "defense" ammo.
    I am a 1911 guy by heart. I have 26 currently in my gun case. I carry a Gen 4 Glock 19 for protection because I have yet to find a "self defense load" that it will not cycle. Clean or dirty, it doesn't matter.
    But I hate almost everything else about a Glock firearm.

sobi1998

Well-Known
    Mar 18, 2016
    Semi autos should ALWAYS be tested with your HP ammo before being used for EDC.

I do have a little Taurus .380 semi auto that has had some feeding issues before. I can’t remember if it was fmj or hp but it had to be tapped home. When it would jam, it seemed like it didn’t have enough closing power to chamber the round fully. But it might be a picky gun when it’s dirty. Friction from grime may slow it down enough to jam it up

sobi1998

Well-Known
    Mar 18, 2016
    I’ve only had first hand feedback from hornady critical defense .357 mag before. Shot a Buck with it out of a 3.5” barrel (twice as long as this S&W). The bullet did ok but the expansion was subpar for even a longer barrel
    All the gel tests on HST looks very promising

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I do have a little Taurus .380 semi auto that has had some feeding issues before. I can’t remember if it was fmj or hp but it had to be tapped home. When it would jam, it seemed like it didn’t have enough closing power to chamber the round fully. But it might be a picky gun when it’s dirty. Friction from grime may slow it down enough to jam it up

Some just won't run.
    Definitely should not be used for EDC.

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    I highly disagree with you. I have dealt with all kinds of firearms since my Army days back in 1968. I also spend a lot of time at local ranges. I see quality firearms fail to cycle due to certain types of factory "defense" ammo.
    I am a 1911 guy by heart. I have 26 currently in my gun case. I carry a Gen 4 Glock 19 for protection because I have yet to find a "self defense load" that it will not cycle. Clean or dirty, it doesn't matter.
    But I hate almost everything else about a Glock firearm.
    Well there you go, I think you just made my point at least in part. You have a Glock 19 that feeds everything while other guns apparently do not funtion properly with the same ammo. It's maybe not the ammo then - is it? My Beretta 92 series pistols also have fed almost every round put through them without failure, regardless of ammo, the only other guns that ever came close were my issued Glock 19 and m`y personally owned Glock 26. They were not as good as the Berettas though - they could not reliably feed some old S&W semi jacketed hollow points I had - failed to feed about every third round - but the Berettas fed them like flowing water.

After having been a range officer for 16 years when I worked for Customs Office of Investigations, I came to find that the biggest problem was not the ammo when it came to failures to feed but either the actual gun or the gun kind of, sort of, maybe! In other words, it was mostly due to something wrong with the gun but something wrong was caused by user error because the guns were filthy even after having been cleaned. Fouled slide rails/grooves preventing full force movement of the slide, copper or carbon fouling built up on the feed ramp, fouled chambers all lent to failures to feed. Shooters would swear their guns were spic and span but a little more cleaning often revealed a mess and after they were properly cleaned they worked fine and fed flawlessly. So when I said the guns earlier, I was being diplomatic and meaning that the guns were at fault because they were likely dirty - not so much that the design was faulty; although, faulty design can and sometimes does cause FTF also.

Top Bottom