Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Yes, you read that right.

There have been any number of attempts to make .38 Special 1911s for shooting NRA Bullseye/Conventional Pistol/Precision Pistol. Some have been successful, others not so much. So I know that 5-round autoloader magazines for .38 Special exist.

My question is - Are there any autopistol magazines out there that will accept more than 5 .38 Special cartridges loaded with flush-seated wadcutters?

I don't care if the magazines were originally designed to carry .38 Special cartridges or not; I'm not looking to use the magazine in a pistol. I'm just looking to put 10 or more cartridges into a compact, durable storage box that will then controllably dispense a round at a time. I imagine there is some magazine out there that will do this, probably designed for some larger cartridge, but nothing I have on hand will work.

TIA.
    Lynx Defense

DubiousDan

Trump 2024
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    San Antonio
    How about a magazine for a Coonan or Desert Eagle .357. The Coonan would probably be more compact.

One model of Coonan says .38/.357.

Last edited:

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Beat me to it. Coonan or Desert Eagle .357 mags.
    Finding original 1911 or S&W .38Sp wadcutter mags is unpossible.

I do have Baby Nambu mags tho. ;-)

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    You looking to come up with an alternative revolver speed loader?
    Yep.
    • Speed loaders are bulky to carry.
    • Moon clips get bent if you carry them every day.
    • Speed strips are (to me, at least) clumsy.
    If you like snubbies like I do, extra ammo is a problem. I've actually considered one of the 9mm revolvers simply because it would be easy to carry a 15 to 33 round magazine for reloading.

seeker_two

My posts don't count....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    That place east of Waco....
    A SKS stripper clip will hold 10 rounds of
    .38/.357 ammo. I use them in the ammo pouch on my Blackhawk's holster. One warning....the sharp edges of the clip are painful when carried in the pocket. Use a pouch.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    How about a magazine for a Coonan or Desert Eagle .357. ... One model of Coonan says .38/.357.
    Beat me to it. Coonan or Desert Eagle .357 mags.
    I guess I should have been more specific. The Coonan holds 7 rounds, the DE 9. That's just one full reload. I could go this route but I'd like to be able to carry at least 2 reloads/12 rounds. I still hold out hope that some big stick is out there that can handle the wadcutters even if it was originally intended for 10mm or .45ACP or something.

OTOH, if I'm in a fight with a 5 or 6 round revolver and I need more than one reload, I'm probably terminally screwed anyway. :)

PS - I understand that just carrying 2 guns is probably smarter. This is in the thought experiment stage and the experiment may fail before it ever becomes physical reality.

Kar98

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    I'm just looking to put 10 or more cartridges into a compact, durable storage box that will then controllably dispense a round at a time.

?
    LQmYxvc.jpg

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Would it matter if the case length fits? If you are not going to use it in semi-auto again, couldn't you modify the ears on the magazine to fit the rims?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Seems like that with the rim, you would need a curved magazine similar to an AK or the rims woild catch on each other. A double stack the would just barely hold the length and have modified ears to allow feeding ammo into them straight down similar to an AR might work though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Would it matter if the case length fits? If you are not going to use it in semi-auto again, couldn't you modify the ears on the magazine to fit the rims?
    I've considered that. I may even give it a go if I can find something close and all-metal. Unfortunately, I have the ability to mess up projects like that in ways no one has ever seen before, i.e. anything mechanical is in danger around me.

Still, I'll keep a lookout at the bargain bins for something big and metal. Thanks for the thought.

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    Flush seated 38 specials will fit in a standard 1911 mags. If you want to hold more than standard issue mags use a high cap mag. Para-ordinance mags are steel and will work. there are others also. I think brownells has a few. 20 round metal AR mags will work. Just cut down the spring to make loading easier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Top Bottom