• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Higgins909

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2016
    Pflugerville
    Just wanted to see if someone could tell me what it costs to reload these calibers, .38 spl and .357 mag, for range use. I might be able to get lead from work for either free or very cheap. I've already started saving my brass for these calibers.

.357 mag seems quite more expensive (or the ammo I bought is) but I don't like to shoot it so much. I bought a Taurus 605B2 stubby and like it a fair amount, it's fun to shoot. Only shot about 10 .357 mag and 30 .38 spl. The .357 broke 2 nails and scratched some skin off... Guess its what I get for having a poor grip and not trimming my nails. (They're only about 1/8" long)

What does it cost you to reload these calibers? New/used brass? lead source/cost? How much for a minimal reloading setup? I don't have much space to do this. I'm thinking a single stage press would be better for me? I would only have to worry about 1 process at a time instead of checking primers and powder in each station of the press.

Thanks,
    Higgins909
    Guns International

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I am guessing that I reload for them for about $0.20 a piece. Used brass and I buy bullets for about a dime each. Primers and powder are a couple cents each roughly.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    I've saved a pile of brass, so the costs are ~.04/primers, cheapo xtreme bullets ~.08, powder ~anywhere from .06 and up. Darwin's .20 sounds about right.

Rusty Gun

brass picker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    Gulf coast
    Agree with the numbers posted here. the last batch of target ammo I loaded for 38 was about .18 a round. The 357 mag was slightly more because I used more expensive bullets.

BigTexasOne

Support gun control! Hit what you aim at!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2016
    Springtown
    don't calculate in the cost of the brass, cause by the time I've reloaded it 8-10 times it's less than a penny, but powder, primer, bullet brings me to about $0.14.

Gummi Bear

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2015
    Arlington
    I load them for my Momma to practice with. Maybe 16-18¢ each for 38’s.

I use 148gn plated wad cutter, whatever small pistol primers I have on hand and Titegroup powder.

Brass, I have accumulated over the years.

I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...

Henry David Thoreau

TheMailMan

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 3, 2015
    North of Kaufman
    Primers from Cabela's are $0.027 each.
    Powder for .38 SPL is going to run $0.007 per round, that's right, less than a penny.
    Cast bullet will run $0.02 with added tin and some wheel weights and coating.

So figure .38 spl at $0.05 per round.

.357 would be maybe $0.07 due to the higher powder charge.

I think that some of ya all either failed math or don't know how to shop.

My cast bullet handloads are coming in at $0.06 or less per round. That's everything from .38 SPL, .357 Mag, 9mm, 10mm, .44 Mag and .45 ACP.

If I load full house .44 Mag I'm still under $0.10 per round.

Hell, you can BUY .38 SPL 148 gr WC ammo for $0.20 per round. If you can't cut that in half you're doing something VERY wrong. Ya can BUY coated 148 gr WC bullets for $0.08 each. Powder and primer sure as hell isn't another $0.08 each.

If that's what you're paying for powder and primer to load .38 SPL I've got some deals for ya.

To the OP. If you like to shoot get a progressive. You can load one round at a time on a progressive a lot faster than you can load one round at a time on a single stage. You don't need to check powder and primer. There's a die for checking powder. It's called an RCBS Lock-Out die.

You can get a basic Lee progressive for $150. But chances are it will turn you off of reloading before you get it dialed in. When it comes to progressive presses there are two real choices. Hornady and Dillon.

I've got both. Buy a Dillon. I say that while I've got my Hornady setup for sale. A Dillon 550 will last a lifetime and load more ammo than you can shoot.

Kosh75287

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2008
    Nemo
    Erring on the side of caution, and assuming that the loads I have in mind make the requisite velocities, I think you could make .38 Spl. for 13.6 cents a round, perhaps a little less, and true .357 Magnum loads for about 16.7 cents per round. That's assuming all free brass, and no consideration of what your personal time is worth.

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    Erring on the side of caution, and assuming that the loads I have in mind make the requisite velocities, I think you could make .38 Spl. for 13.6 cents a round, perhaps a little less, and true .357 Magnum loads for about 16.7 cents per round. That's assuming all free brass, and no consideration of what your personal time is worth.
    Personal time worth? I reload at night and on weekends instead of sitting around bored watching tv. Plus it’s very satisfying to shoot my loads and have them outperform factory loads.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Personal time worth? I reload at night and on weekends instead of sitting around bored watching tv. Plus it’s very satisfying to shoot my loads and have them outperform factory loads.
    Yep. I can't figure a cost for enjoying a hobby. I enjoy reloading as much as shooting.

I'd rather do either over watching tv.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Primers from Cabela's are $0.027 each.
    Powder for .38 SPL is going to run $0.007 per round, that's right, less than a penny.
    Cast bullet will run $0.02 with added tin and some wheel weights and coating.

So figure .38 spl at $0.05 per round.

.357 would be maybe $0.07 due to the higher powder charge.

I think that some of ya all either failed math or don't know how to shop.

My cast bullet handloads are coming in at $0.06 or less per round. That's everything from .38 SPL, .357 Mag, 9mm, 10mm, .44 Mag and .45 ACP.

If I load full house .44 Mag I'm still under $0.10 per round.

Hell, you can BUY .38 SPL 148 gr WC ammo for $0.20 per round. If you can't cut that in half you're doing something VERY wrong. Ya can BUY coated 148 gr WC bullets for $0.08 each. Powder and primer sure as hell isn't another $0.08 each.

If that's what you're paying for powder and primer to load .38 SPL I've got some deals for ya.

To the OP. If you like to shoot get a progressive. You can load one round at a time on a progressive a lot faster than you can load one round at a time on a single stage. You don't need to check powder and primer. There's a die for checking powder. It's called an RCBS Lock-Out die.

You can get a basic Lee progressive for $150. But chances are it will turn you off of reloading before you get it dialed in. When it comes to progressive presses there are two real choices. Hornady and Dillon.

I've got both. Buy a Dillon. I say that while I've got my Hornady setup for sale. A Dillon 550 will last a lifetime and load more ammo than you can shoot.

Could be we were throwing a rough number on it too. Plus I don't cast so my bullets cost a little more than yours.

Higgins909

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2016
    Pflugerville
    Why not do both? :D I'm trying to price things out. I didn't ask about the lead at work. I don't even know if it would be good for reloading. Cabela's has lead shot for $1.7196 a lb. (I think that was with tax) I did the math and would get 1400 125 grain bullets at $0.0303~ (the ammo I have is 130 and 158, .38 spl, .357 mag) Where are you getting your lead that cheap? I was hoping for more of a easy way, than finding wheel weights. I was thinking maybe I could buy a piece of lead from the place my work buys the lead from and melt it down, assuming it would be cheaper.

I know a progressive would be faster, but isn't it bigger? Also more expensive... I'm sure it would pay off in the longer run, but what about a shorter run? Using ammo seek and wally world, I've found brass .38 spl for about $0.25 (I want to make sure reloading catches on and invest minimal)

TheMailMan

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 3, 2015
    North of Kaufman
    I hit the local metal scrap yard. Lead was s$0.70 a lb last week. I'm averaging $0.12 lb for wheelvweights.

Pure lead is going to cause you leading problems. You need to harden it up. Wheel weights doe that. If you can find some linotype it will also work. You want to add antimony to harden it up and some tin to help with mold fill out.

It all depends on how much you're going to shoot. If you shoot 50 rounds a week then just buy ammo. It will take forever to recover the costs of even a basic reloading and casting setup. If you're like me and shoot ~500 rounds a week then it pays off real quick and you NEED that progressive to keep from spending all week reloading. All in all with a iron four cavity mold and my progressive press it takes me around 4-5 hours a week to do 500 rounds. That's casting, coating, sizing and reloading.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    It all depends on how much you're going to shoot. If you shoot 50 rounds a week then just buy ammo. It will take forever to recover the costs of even a basic reloading and casting setup. If you're like me and shoot ~500 rounds a week then it pays off real quick and you NEED that progressive to keep from spending all week reloading. All in all with a iron four cavity mold and my progressive press it takes me around 4-5 hours a week to do 500 rounds. That's casting, coating, sizing and reloading.

This is absolutely true.

It all depends on how much you shoot, what you are shooting, what calibers you are going to reload, and if you have time to reload.

If you just want to reload then go for it. I personally enjoy it. I save money per round even though I shoot much more because I reload.

If you just shoot normal rounds and not very often then it will take forever to pay off the equipment.

High volume shooters and shooting odd calibers is where it really pays off. Some calibers you can save dollars per round by reloading.

TheMailMan

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 3, 2015
    North of Kaufman
    This is absolutely true.

It all depends on how much you shoot, what you are shooting, what calibers you are going to reload, and if you have time to reload.

If you just want to reload then go for it. I personally enjoy it. I save money per round even though I shoot much more because I reload.

If you just shoot normal rounds and not very often then it will take forever to pay off the equipment.

High volume shooters and shooting odd calibers is where it really pays off. Some calibers you can save dollars per round by reloading.

Even common rounds an save a ton of cash. .45 ACP, .45 Colt, .44 Mag for pistol rounds. When you step up to rifle rounds you can easily save $1 per round.

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    Even common rounds an save a ton of cash. .45 ACP, .45 Colt, .44 Mag for pistol rounds. When you step up to rifle rounds you can easily save $1 per round.

This is very true. Winchester white box 44 Magnum is $43 for 50 rounds at Academt. That’s almost $1 per round anyway you look at it. My last batch of reloads was $0.0867 per round. They shoot softer and my kids enjoy shooting it. I can also load faster and heavier bullets and still be less than half the cost of buying generic.

If you just want to reload then go for it. I personally enjoy it. I save money per round even though I shoot much more because I rel

I started reloading because I wanted more accurate 308 ammo. Now I save lots of money and have better performing ammo. 45-70 ammo is close to $3 per round to buy, and that ammo is designed for the 125 year old Springfield trapdoor. I can load way hotter for my Marlin, and have a variety of bullet weights for less than $0.50 per round.

Deavis

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 20, 2011
    Austin
    Yep. I can't figure a cost for enjoying a hobby. I enjoy reloading as much as shooting.

I'd rather do either over watching tv.
    As long as you don't do it while watching TV! Distracted reloading :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Top Bottom