• ...and so much more!
  • satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    To All,

Actally, MY main interest in the .38 Super is because I intend to retire, at least part of the year, to Central or South America where 9x19mm is ILLEGAL in numerous nations down there, except for armed forces use.

Also unlawful calibers in those nations are: .32 Automatic, 9x18mm Makarov, .45ACP, 5.56mmNATO, 7.62x39mm, 7.62x51NATO, 7.65 Argentine, 7.9x57 Mauser. 50 caliber BMG & a few "lesser known" calibers.
    (The "PROHIBITED to civilians" calibers are generally also outlawed for police use too, as they are considered to be, "weapons of war".)

.380 Auto, .38 Special. .357 Magnum, .357 SIG, .38 Super, 9x21mm, 9mm Largo, .40 S&W, .30-06 & 7x57mm are LEGAL, even though some (or perhaps all) of those calibers are commonly used by various military forces OR were at some time were used by some nation's military forces.
    ADDENDA: ALL of the .22 centerfire calibers are LEGAL in those nations, except .223REM/5.56 NATO.
    (Does that make any commonsense to our members, as it makes NONE to me?)

IMO, MANY acts of governments make NO sense at all, as they are prohibited by actions of IGNORANT bureaucrats and/or politicians who have "a anti-gun agenda".

yours, satx

Last edited:

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    So let me get this straight. 9mm x 19mm is illegal, but 9mm x 23mm is not? That's a special kind of stupid.

brains,

YEP. 9x 19mm is ILLEGAL but BOTH 9x21mm & 9x23m are LEGAL.
    (Most pistols that were designed for 9mm Luger will chamber & fire both of the longer 9mm rounds with a cheap/simple "reaming out" of the 9x19 chamber.)

SOME European & Asian pistols in one of the 9mm pistol calibers will safely chamber & fire all 3 cartridges. = The ASTRA 400 for just one such.
    (My old Astra 400, which was originally designed for 9mm Largo would also chamber & fire all of the three 9mm rounds AND .380ACP, too, because of the 400's "peculiarly designed" chamber configuration.)

yours, satx

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    brains,

YEP. 9x 19mm is ILLEGAL but BOTH 9x21mm & 9x23m are LEGAL.
    (Most pistols that were designed for 9mm Luger will chamber & fire both of the longer 9mm rounds with a cheap/simple "reaming out" of the 9x19 chamber.)

SOME European & Asian pistols in one of the 9mm pistol calibers will safely chamber & fire all 3 cartridges. = The ASTRA 400 for just one such.
    (My old Astra 400, which was originally designed for 9mm Largo would also chamber & fire all of the three 9mm rounds AND .380ACP, too, because of the 400's "peculiarly designed" chamber configuration.)
    Wow! Good info!

yours, satx
    Interesting.

Last edited:

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    I fired some 185gr. .45 ACP +P in my 1911 once, man did it batter the slide and put a couple burrs on the barrel link. Never did that again.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    During my decades on Earth, seems that the .38 Super has enjoyed 2 or 3 separate eras of popularity; but it now seems to have disappeared again.

Who knows ?

The Mexicans still seem to love it, as always !

leVieux

Sorry guys, I didn't realize there was an active thread on this already. I got a note from a Friend who used to build 1911's in .38 Super for U S Military (Navy) competition teams. Made me think of the topic. leVieux

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    To All,

Actally, MY main interest in the .38 Super is because I intend to retire, at least part of the year, to Central or South America where 9x19mm is ILLEGAL in numerous nations down there, except for armed forces use.

Also unlawful calibers in those nations are: .32 Automatic, 9x18mm Makarov, .45ACP, 5.56mmNATO, 7.62x39mm, 7.62x51NATO, 7.65 Argentine, 7.9x57 Mauser. 50 caliber BMG & a few "lesser known" calibers.
    (The "PROHIBITED to civilians" calibers are generally also outlawed for police use too, as they are considered to be, "weapons of war".)

.380 Auto, .38 Special. .357 Magnum, .357 SIG, .38 Super, 9x21mm, 9mm Largo, .40 S&W, .30-06 & 7x57mm are LEGAL, even though some (or perhaps all) of those calibers are commonly used by various military forces OR were at some time were used by some nation's military forces.
    ADDENDA: ALL of the .22 centerfire calibers are LEGAL in those nations, except .223REM/5.56 NATO.
    (Does that make any commonsense to our members, as it makes NONE to me?)

IMO, MANY acts of governments make NO sense at all, as they are prohibited by actions of IGNORANT bureaucrats and/or politicians who have "a anti-gun agenda".

yours, satx

I believe that anything labeled "Magnum" is outlawed in Costa Rica & Republic de Panama.
    leVieux

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    leVieux,

NOPE.- the .357 MAG is LEGAL in Panama. - I don't know about the legality in CR.

yours, satx

gdr_11

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2014
    As I recall the Mexico,Central America and South America laws were designed to prevent the build-up of citizen militias who could rise up to threaten the seated government. The thought process was that making military weapons illegal would limit citizen groups from access to large amounts of ammo in a revolt. Just consider that you can easily obtain 5 gallon tubs of 9 mms, .45 acp or .556 but there is no such availability for rounds like the .38 Super. Juan Valdez and company were just trying to keep the peasants in line, kind of like the Demos are doing in this country

gshayd

Ugliest house on the block.
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2018
    Beaumont, Texas
    As I recall the Mexico,Central America and South America laws were designed to prevent the build-up of citizen militias who could rise up to threaten the seated government. The thought process was that making military weapons illegal would limit citizen groups from access to large amounts of ammo in a revolt. Just consider that you can easily obtain 5 gallon tubs of 9 mms, .45 acp or .556 but there is no such availability for rounds like the .38 Super. Juan Valdez and company were just trying to keep the peasants in line, kind of like the Demos are doing in this country
    Yes...

Top Bottom