• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • texasjim

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 9, 2008
    ambidexterous1 rather than type it all in again please read my prev. post in this forum title 380 brass thanks jim

ambidextrous1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sorry, Jim, I didn't see your other post.

I just went through some of my recently-fired reloads, and found a significant number of cases marked 'FC I assume those are Federal. No sign of Blazer cases.

It's important to note that all of my .380 cases are more than 15 years old; they're remnants of a long-gone GF who shot a lot of .380. I haven't had any problems or noticed different force required for reloading the FC cases.

It's possible that Federal has changed their case metallurgy since I got the specimens I've been reloading. These cases measure 0.010 inch wall thickness near the mouth.

Incidentally, I'm using carbide dies in a Dillon 650.

If you'd like, I'll send you a dozen or so 'vintage' FC cases, to see if they're easier to load than your cases from (likely) more recent production. To cover all bases, perhaps you'll send me a few of yours to try out. PM me if you want to do this.

texasjim

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 9, 2008
    ambidextrous1 I'm going to experiment with annealing a few of these cases just to see they mic. right at 10 thous. at the case mouth as well and they only buckle when you try to flare them the belling itself doe's no damage thanks for the reply I live in big spring about 320 miles east of you jim

texasjim

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 9, 2008
    sorry for the double post I would like to throw in that I also tried lubeing the cases as well as chamfering them with the same results jim

oldguy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    I reload 380 using lee carbide dies and have not had problems with any brass I've used (a mix of range brass..)

robocop10mm

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 9, 2009
    Round Rock
    The majority of difference in needed force may be related to the chamber dimensions of the gun they were fired through. Many .380 pistols have generous chamber dimensions that cause excess case swelling.

I am in the process of resizing a batch of .40 brass. Head stamp does not seem to make a difference. The gun it was fired in does. Glock fired cases are considerably more difficult to resize than S&W or Sig fired cases. The generous dimensions of Glock chambers and the unsupported area at the feed ramp make a difference that is clearly visible to the naked eye.

If you do not know how to tell the difference between Glock fired brass and others, drop me a PM. Its really pretty easy.

texasjim

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 9, 2008
    robocop sizing the brass is not the problem it resizes the same as all the other brands I have on hand the problem comes in when I try to bell the case and flare the mouth a little the expander plug expands it ok but when I push the case into the die a thous. or two to flair the mouth thats when the cases buckle jim and so far it has happened only when using case marked federal 380 auto and the few cases I had of blazer brass allother cases flair fust fine jim

robocop10mm

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 9, 2009
    Round Rock
    I have not had any such problems with the assorted range brass (including Federal and Blazer Brass). I am a cheap a$$ and use the expander/funnel that came with the 9mm cartridge conversion for my Dillon. My only problem is occasionally the shell plate does not hold the case perfectly in line with the expander and the opening will catch a case mouth, collapsing the case on one side. Is this what you are seeing?

Anealing such a small case will be a real PITA.

The_Vigilante

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2009
    Far West Texas
    Slightly off-topic, for those of you who reload .40 S&W and use Glock brass I would recommend the Redding GR-x die which resizes the Glock brass to it's original size. The casing is run completely thru the die and is the solution to that Glocked brass you pick up on the range.

texasjim

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 9, 2008
    robocop

the 380 cases just buckle with a bulge or ring all the way around the case about 1/16 of an inch in size weird only with federal and the few blazer brass cases I have tried all other cases worked fine jim

crossfire

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2008
    Just checking the case measurements, but couldn't you cut down .223 brass to make a heavy duty .380?

texasjim

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 9, 2008
    380 auto cases

well after having had catarac surgery I found the problem with reloading federal cases they have a step milled inside the case sort of like the necks were reamed inside about 3/16 of an inch deep these were federal's american eagle brand and they all have this very visable step "inside reaming anybody else notice this ? the case mouth mesures about 10 tho. of an inch thick and deeper in the case about 3/16 they are almost double that when my expander ball hits this ridge it just bulges the case don't know why they did this possibly to prevent bullett settback? also noticed my son's rcbs die set the expander is marked 9mm. could it be the wrong expander for the 380 and may be to long for this shorter case to flair the case mouth with thanks for all the replies jim

Top Bottom