• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lalonguecarabine

A legend in my own mind!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Houston
    I work all shifts throughout the week. Overnight a few days, a day off, then an AM, followed by a PM or two the day after. Then right back to overnights.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I've worked every conceivable shift or combination of shifts including 24 hours straight and "no one goes home until the job is done." I used to say that my world rotated on a different axis than the rest of the planet. It's hard to keep track of what day it is, huh? For instance, talking about what happened "yesterday" at work when "yesterday" is still "today" or "today" is actually "tomorrow!"

The weirdest shift I worked was at the prison. I went to bed at 8:30 PM and set the alarm at 2:30 am. Got to work at 4:15am and finished at 11:45 am. Sometimes they'd have a "Lock down" so nobody left for any reason, shift or no shift. Yawn....what a bite!

Flash

TxBigfoot

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2011
    Red Oak
    Days now, but I've worked nights for about 6 years. I never got used to it and was lucky to get 4 hrs of sleep a day.

coachrick

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    north-north Austin
    Days now, but I've worked nights for about 6 years. I never got used to it and was lucky to get 4 hrs of sleep a day.

Sounds about right. A hundred years ago, in college, I worked either 11-7 or midnight to 8AM. Left work, drove 14 miles home to shower and head off to class. Left school around noon each day and worked at the tennis shop until we closed at 6PM. During nice weather, I'd hit the University tennis courts for a couple of hours, then home for 'some' or 'no' sleep before doing it all over again. I'd usually crash sometime on Thursday and get some actual sleep. It's a wonder I lived through all that, especially considering I was riding a motorcycle much of the time.(Ever doze off when driving??? Try THAT on a MOTORCYCLE!!! Managed to stay upright and learned a VERY valuable lesson that dark, cold morning!!!).

I surely don't miss those days!!! If you can handle those night/swing/rotating/12 on-off/24 hr shifts, you are a lot tougher than I am. I wish somebody had sat me down and had a talk with me back then! You gotta do what you gotta do; but, it's way too easy to burn the candle on both ends when a midnight shift is part of the equation.

Good luck with the job. Try to get in a decent sleep pattern and make the most of it. You may be one of those 'few' who thrive working a third shift once you get comfortable with it. (FWIW, I did better in the winter with the earlier sunset 'telling' me to get some sleep. During the summer, I really pushed it with the extra daylight)

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I guess I'm a night owl... I naturally gravitate towards a 3rd shift sleep schedule. I'd much rather goto sleep at 7am, wake up around 1pm and then be awake all afternoon and night. Unfortunately being a single parent I'm stuck with day shift like a "normal" person

brocknchrist

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2011
    south texas
    work four nights in a 16 day rotation... But mine are 12 hour shifts... So a bit different than your shift...

Live, Laugh, Love. If that doesn't work, Load, Aim and Fire. (repeat as necessary)

shutup&shoot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Willis
    Worked nights for 4 years. On days now and won't go back. I hated it. While everyone else was having fun I was stuck at work every night.

Top Bottom