• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • country_boy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    I got a bayou 220 and last time in February it ran but, not great.
    It needs a new battery, the current one wont hold a charge and the solenoid makes a ticking sound. Also, the plug always fouls out to me its a (dry foul) carbon cake on the plug. It did fire up this morning with a new plug but, absolutely no power at idle and when the throttle is applied it just dies. I know the carburetor needs to rebuilt and the choke mount on the carb. is stripped. I have changed the coil, rectifier, redid all the fuel lines and put a new battery back 2 years ago and now the battery is dead. I do have a service manual but, wanted some older knowledge on why the plug always fouls out.
    DK Firearms

drj3828

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    Grimes County, TX
    On most jap engines now adays the choke is just a fuel bypass, in other words it sucks fuel right out of the bowl of the carb. So if that part is stripped out it could be over fueling.
    Also on the no power there is a jet call a idle jet, it is a small brass piece that is threaded into the base of the carb from the bottom up. You have to remove the bowl to see it. The jet has several very small holes that stop up, you can clean them with your wife's finger nail polish remover and a wire from a wire brush.

It is best just to take out all of the jets from the carb and soak them in the polish remover and use a wire and clean them out. Also check the inlet on the airfilter box and make sure there are no mud dobber nest in it. This is a big problem where I live.
    I hope this helps you out.
    drj

country_boy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    Well I have a universal sock filter on it, the air box was damaged. Thats part of what I was going to do was to rebuild and replace the carb jets and all. However I might have to get a new carb because that coke mount broke off in the carb threads.

country_boy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    well I cleaned the carburetor, the jets were cleaned but they are fine. Im going to replace the broken choke but, I dont think thats the problem because I was the one that broke it and it was fouling the plug already. It also cuts out when its hot. As stated the plug is carbon fouled.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    At the scooter shop we run into issues all the time where the wrong or different air filter creates a fueling issue. Most modern 4wheelers have a scooter engine with a CVT transmission. My buddy has a bayou 220 and I know its a clutchless manual but you could still cause a fueling problem with a restricted or hi-flow filter with too much oil. If your engine smokes(blueish color not black), you might have low compression. That usually equals oil consumption and sooty plugs. All 4 cycle engines should produce over a 100psi to run. Maybe you should try a compression check and go from there. Knowing that the Bayou was produced decades ago, you may need a new carb all together. At least the compression test can tell you whether you have a piston or valve problem by performing a dry test 1st. Then by adding oil through the spark plug hole(less than a cap ful) and cranking the engine with the plug out you can see if the compression increases on the next test(cranking engine with a guage hooked up for a least 4 seconds). If the number increases by over 20 percent then it probably has a worn cylinder and/or rings. Anyhow, good luck figuring it out and let us know what fixes it.

country_boy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    To my knowledge theres no blue smoke. I had the original air box on it and it still did the same problem it always had, bought another air box, same thing. Then I tried the universal filter and it worked about the same. The carburetor looks fine to me after the cleaning but, ive cleaned it before. Might be out of adjustment.

txgun44

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2009
    NE TEXAS
    you may check the plug to make sure it is the correct heat range as specified for the atv. something else you may try is raising the clip one position on the metering rod(needle) in the carburetor which will actually lower it 1 notch. this will be on the top of the carb where the throttle cable is located. over the years the needles will wear thin and will allow too much fuel by as you try to accelerate off of idle. you may also make sure the choke plunger is not stuck. if it is, you will need to have it replaced.

Top Bottom