.40 ammo preference

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Big country, Jun 5, 2009.

1. Big country

Big country TGT Addict

Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    I was wondering what yalls preference in carry (personal protection/Duty) ammo for the .40 S&W? I cary Federal hydra shocks 180 gr right now. I heard that gold dots were pretty good. This is not a best caliber debate I think it has the potential to tern into a best grain weight debate tho :rofl: , but that is not the intention of the post. I was just curious to see what yall like, and don't like.

2. lastchance1701d

lastchance1701d New Member

Jun 4, 2009
    Fort Worth, TX
    I have a HK USP compact that carry and I keep gold dot 185 grain in it.

3. lastchance1701d

Jun 4, 2009
    Fort Worth, TX
    Sorry, I meant 165 grain gold dots.

4. navyguy

navyguy TGT Addict

Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    Federal Hydro shok 180 Gr right now. I really want some HST, either 165 or 180 but they are very hard to find.

5. lastchance1701d

Jun 4, 2009
    Fort Worth, TX
    I haven't experienced any problems with the Hydrashoks myself, but I have read on other forums that in the .40 S&W caliber there have been reports of malfunctions with the bullets themselves. I guess due to the inherent higher power of the round, maybe?? dunno.

6. Texas42

Texas42 TGT Addict

Nov 21, 2008
    Temple
    The hydrashocks design is about 20 years old. Nothing terrible about it, it just isn't new.

I don't know much about the 40, but I got some of the new winchester PXD1 (sp?) rounds for my 9mm (124 g +p). The cavity is very deep (deeper than the three or so other hollowpoints I have collected), and the pictures on the web site look almost as good as the HST's. It also was at Academy, which I think is a plus. You can avoid paying shipping, and a prosecutor can't attack you for buying a "murder round." Just my humble 2 cents.

I like the look of the new hornady rounds, but I can't find the grain that I like, and it seems harder to find.

7. SIG_Fiend

SIG_Fiend Administrator TGT Supporter Admin

Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    -Corbon DPX
    -Federal HST (if you can even find any)
    -Speer Gold Dots
    -Winchester Ranger T

I would use any from that list personally. Hydrashok's are an oooooold round that have been around at least a couple decades, and in some of the ballistics tests I've seen, they can tend to not expand properly when penetrating through certain types of heavier barriers. Yeah, they've worked alright in an LE role for many years, but there's newer better stuff out there now that is much more consistent at expansion. Here is a wealth of info on some of these rounds:

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammo

LE - Wound Ballistics

8. A_FIVE-O

A_FIVE-O Active Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Houston-Laredo
    Speer Gold Dot HP's or Winchester Ranger HP's any caliber!!!

9. Burt Gummer

Burt Gummer Active Member

May 18, 2009
    Williamson County
    Gold dots for all of my pistols but mostly because my dept supplies them to us.:banger:

165 gr in .40 and 230 gr in .45.

10. 300shooter

300shooter Active Member

Mar 6, 2008
    Fargo,ND
    Winchester ranger Bonded T 180gr.
    Hornady TAP 180gr.