• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    I was wondering what yalls preference in carry (personal protection/Duty) ammo for the .40 S&W? I cary Federal hydra shocks 180 gr right now. I heard that gold dots were pretty good. This is not a best caliber debate I think it has the potential to tern into a best grain weight debate tho , but that is not the intention of the post. I was just curious to see what yall like, and don't like.
    Guns International

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    Federal Hydro shok 180 Gr right now. I really want some HST, either 165 or 180 but they are very hard to find.

lastchance1701d

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2009
    Fort Worth, TX
    I haven't experienced any problems with the Hydrashoks myself, but I have read on other forums that in the .40 S&W caliber there have been reports of malfunctions with the bullets themselves. I guess due to the inherent higher power of the round, maybe?? dunno.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    The hydrashocks design is about 20 years old. Nothing terrible about it, it just isn't new.

I don't know much about the 40, but I got some of the new winchester PXD1 (sp?) rounds for my 9mm (124 g +p). The cavity is very deep (deeper than the three or so other hollowpoints I have collected), and the pictures on the web site look almost as good as the HST's. It also was at Academy, which I think is a plus. You can avoid paying shipping, and a prosecutor can't attack you for buying a "murder round." Just my humble 2 cents.

I like the look of the new hornady rounds, but I can't find the grain that I like, and it seems harder to find.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    -Corbon DPX
    -Federal HST (if you can even find any)
    -Speer Gold Dots
    -Winchester Ranger T

I would use any from that list personally. Hydrashok's are an oooooold round that have been around at least a couple decades, and in some of the ballistics tests I've seen, they can tend to not expand properly when penetrating through certain types of heavier barriers. Yeah, they've worked alright in an LE role for many years, but there's newer better stuff out there now that is much more consistent at expansion. Here is a wealth of info on some of these rounds:

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammo

LE - Wound Ballistics

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    i have always been a big fan of hornady loads in almost everything i shoot, any one know of any drawbacks of them....?
    I had them in my pistol for a while, I took them out cause they are getting kinda old. (I try to keep my defence ammo good and fresh) I still have twenty of the TAP that I carried. I might try and get in touch with a guy I know with some land and some water jugs and try them out. I'll put them up against the hydra Shocks of the same weight and post what I come up with, If I can do it.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    sweet man, let us know....
    I'll see if I can find him. He is hard to find these days. If I can find him I'll set it up. It was his house that we "tested" an old "bullet proof" vest with a 12 ga and my 30-06.
    PS It wont stop a 30-06 but it will stop 00 buck, bird shot, and 3" #4 nitro turkey. But after a go round with the shotgun I'd rather jump off of a high rise.

Top Bottom