• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Floyd_Droid

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    Shady Shores, TX
    Anyone reload 40 S&W? If so I'll start collecting brass instead of sweeping it away. I also shoot .380 and as soon as i get my 9mm back from my brother that brass will be available too.
    I have no use for it.
    Gun Zone Deals

Floyd_Droid

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    Shady Shores, TX
    Ok. I'll start doing that.

Q: Have you ever had troubles with reloading or shooting reloaded 40 S&W?

Last time at the range, was talking to another guy that asked me for my brass, when I told him it was 40 S&W he commented that there were troubles reloading it, something about crimping or what-not. He picked up just my .380 stuff.

Just wondering, because a buddy of mine we were thinking to go in halves to purchase reloading equipment. I've been concerned about the above mentioned statement and started to rethink my strategy.

wshbrngr

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Texas Hill Country
    I have never had any problems loading .40, (or shooting my re-loads in my Beretta 96 Brigadier)
    Its one of the main calibers I re-load.

I do have a preference for winchester brass, but thats just me.

Floyd_Droid

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    Shady Shores, TX
    I have never had any problems loading .40, (or shooting my re-loads in my Beretta 96 Brigadier)
    Its one of the main calibers I re-load.

I do have a preference for winchester brass, but thats just me.

Have you ever had issues with some 40 cal because of special neck do not allow for the tollerance of brasss stretch with reloads?
    Thought Beretta was 'factory loads only'?

Just wondering if dishing out $$$ for a Dillon 550B and other neccesary equipment is worth it? (granted I would be going in halves with my shooting buddy)

wshbrngr

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Texas Hill Country
    Well, I am no expert by any means. I have not been re-loading that long, but I have had zero problems reloading any .40 brass.
    I police up my own and I also pick up stuff that others have left behind - yeah I am a scavenger. (If I am not shooting in my backyard, then I shoot at an outdoor range and once people drive off, I figure the brass is abandoned.)

So far I have re-loaded winchester, cci, speer, and remington brass.

Some brass has been on the ground for a while, so I wash out the dirt/mud, inspect them, tumble them shiney, inspect them again, then prime and load them.

I have a hornady lock 'n load single stage and use the hornady dies.
    I put a light roll crimp on the bullet when I seat them.

If Beretta is 'factory loads only', well too bad. (way out of warranty anyways)
    I have not encountered any 'special crimp' - or if I have, it did not present any problems.

Floyd_Droid

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    Shady Shores, TX
    Well, I am no expert by any means. I have not been re-loading that long, but I have had zero problems reloading any .40 brass.
    I police up my own and I also pick up stuff that others have left behind - yeah I am a scavenger. (If I am not shooting in my backyard, then I shoot at an outdoor range and once people drive off, I figure the brass is abandoned.)

So far I have re-loaded winchester, cci, speer, and remington brass.

Some brass has been on the ground for a while, so I wash out the dirt/mud, inspect them, tumble them shiney, inspect them again, then prime and load them.

I have a hornady lock 'n load single stage and use the hornady dies.
    I put a light roll crimp on the bullet when I seat them.

If Beretta is 'factory loads only', well too bad. (way out of warranty anyways)
    I have not encountered any 'special crimp' - or if I have, it did not present any problems.

I like to shoot blazer CCI pretty well. (I also like the price). What's best brass brand you've reloaded?

Rottweiler

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2008
    Hill Country
    CCI blazer's aluminum cases aren't reloadable. They have berdan primers. Easy way to tell is look at the flash hole in the case. If there's more than 1 hole in therem they are scrap metal not reloadable brass

Floyd_Droid

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    Shady Shores, TX
    CCI blazer's aluminum cases aren't reloadable. They have berdan primers. Easy way to tell is look at the flash hole in the case. If there's more than 1 hole in therem they are scrap metal not reloadable brass

Yea, I know. Was just talking about what I shoot cause it's clean and inexpessive.
    Was wondering about best brand of brass so I may buy that brand of brass and reload it.

Rottweiler

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2008
    Hill Country
    They are all about the same to me. Some people say to only load brass 4-5 times and toss it. I load them til I lose them. Revolver cases are hard to lose, Auto pistol loads seem to toss a few cases to the same place that socks go to in the dryer I know I have .38 spec and .357 cases that have seen over 10 loads and are still in use.

Floyd_Droid

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    Shady Shores, TX
    They are all about the same to me. Some people say to only load brass 4-5 times and toss it. I load them til I lose them. Revolver cases are hard to lose, Auto pistol loads seem to toss a few cases to the same place that socks go to in the dryer I know I have .38 spec and .357 cases that have seen over 10 loads and are still in use.

LOL that was good!

Thanks for the great info

oldguy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    I've loaded thousands of rounds of 40s&W with no problems, the internet gossip on the 40 relates to bullet setback when the cartridge enters the chamber and bullet is pushed back into brass causing increased pressure. It also relates to the Glock with some guns who had unsupported chambers.
    Like all reloading its a matter of being careful and not over charging cases.

Top Bottom