40's

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by texas_teacher, Apr 22, 2009.

1. texas_teacher

texas_teacher Well-Known

Feb 14, 2009
    South Korea
    My uncle is in the market for a .40 for a home defense pistol. We were at the range earlier today and he absolutely fell in love with my girlfriend's HK P2000SK chambered in .40. Can't really say I blame the guy except for the fact that the gun itself is a $950 gun and it's a little out of his current price range. Browsing around I already knew of some options to offer him and also wanted some other opinions.

S&W Sigma Series .40 (I know it's their economy model and I did see an officer of our fine state was firing one chambered in 9mm and the damn thing was jamming like every other mag. I'm wondering if anyone else has had a similiar experience like this with this model?)

S&W M&P Series .40(I love the ergonomics of the M&P's. Haven't shot any of them and haven't seen them shot.)

SA XD .40(I shot a buddy's 9mmSC a couple of weekends ago and absolutely fell in love with the feel and shot of this gun.)

S&W or WALTHER P99 .40(I love the feel of these guns and Walther's reputation for amazing accuracy)

Ruger DAO .40 (I love Rugers. I have a SP101 and I know revolvers are one thing and semi's are completely different but what can i say I love the feel and look of their pistols.)

2. GM.Chief

GM.Chief Well-Known

Mar 16, 2009
    I have an XD 40 and I love it. Didn't personally care for my wife's Glock 23 (.40), but then again she likes her Glock better than my XD, go figure. Oh well, I can't fault her for her bad taste...lol

3. Reacher

Reacher Member

Nov 14, 2008
    Irving, TX
    I shot the Glock, the XDm and the M&P. I bought the M&P. I've put 250rds through it now with no hiccups. It's very comfortable for me and seems to be very accurate for a HD pistol. If you buy before 4-30, you get a coupon for 2 free mags as well.

That being said, shoot all the ones that you can and then pick the one that feels best for you.

4. SIG_Fiend

SIG_Fiend Administrator TGT Supporter Admin

Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Glock, M&P, XD. All great guns, similar price range, durable, accurate, reliable. Really just boils down to what feels more comfortable. If he could get a hold of a P99, those are pretty sweet, a bit more ergonomic and nicer IMO. Can't really go wrong with any of them as they are all great guns.

5. Texas1911

Texas1911 TGT Addict

May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Of the choices I'd vote P99. It's a great gun for the price.

6. DrBart2

DrBart2 Active Member

Mar 10, 2008
    Burleson
    This is the only one that I have not had or shot. A buddy of mine has one and loves it.

These are just my experiences with these guns, I am not an expert.

7. Big country

Big country TGT Addict

Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    I would take an XD over a Glock any day.

8. DrBart2

DrBart2 Active Member

Mar 10, 2008
    Burleson
    LOL, you realize those are fighting words for Glock lovers! The main thing I like about the XD over the Glock is the extra security that the XD has (grip safety). Also, the ergonomics of the XD fits me better than the Glock. Having said that, there is nothing wrong with a Glock. I have never seen or heard of one failing!

9. brickboy240

brickboy240 Active Member

May 19, 2008
    Houston, TX, USA
    I have owned two 40s for a very long time: a Glock 22 and a 4" Springer XD-40.

Both are very reliable and fairly accurate and have never given a lick of trouble. The Glock 22 I have owned since 1994 and the XD-40 is about 5 years old and I bought it used off a buddy that was looking to unload it on the cheap.

Really...go with either of these and you cannot do wrong. One will fit your hand better than the other - pick that one.

Years ago, I was going to ditch both of these pistols, if only to simplify my calibers to only 45 and 9mm. However...I cannot seem to part with guns that give me no troubles so I kept both the G22 and XD40. Glad I did with today's ammo supply problems, because I can usually find 40SW range loads at most stores while the 45s and 9mms are usually sold out.

Summit Gun Broker is selling nice used Glock 22s for about 360 bucks right now....a steal for a pistol of that quality. You might consider buying from them - I have had good luck with his used pistols and they're a great deal.

The XD40 and Glock 22 are BOTH great guns...pick one and shoot happy.

- brickboy240

10. Skip

Skip TGT Addict

Aug 26, 2008
    NW San Antonio
    I love everything about my XDm40, This new "m" series come as a complete kit including The gun, holster, two mag pouch, speedloader, 2 mags, and the grip is adjustable to small, medium, and large. The 40 is a 16+1, and the new XDm9 is 19+1.
    007.jpg