• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • texas_teacher

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    South Korea
    My uncle is in the market for a .40 for a home defense pistol. We were at the range earlier today and he absolutely fell in love with my girlfriend's HK P2000SK chambered in .40. Can't really say I blame the guy except for the fact that the gun itself is a $950 gun and it's a little out of his current price range. Browsing around I already knew of some options to offer him and also wanted some other opinions.

S&W Sigma Series .40 (I know it's their economy model and I did see an officer of our fine state was firing one chambered in 9mm and the damn thing was jamming like every other mag. I'm wondering if anyone else has had a similiar experience like this with this model?)

S&W M&P Series .40(I love the ergonomics of the M&P's. Haven't shot any of them and haven't seen them shot.)

SA XD .40(I shot a buddy's 9mmSC a couple of weekends ago and absolutely fell in love with the feel and shot of this gun.)

S&W or WALTHER P99 .40(I love the feel of these guns and Walther's reputation for amazing accuracy)

Ruger DAO .40 (I love Rugers. I have a SP101 and I know revolvers are one thing and semi's are completely different but what can i say I love the feel and look of their pistols.)
    Military Camp

GM.Chief

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    I have an XD 40 and I love it. Didn't personally care for my wife's Glock 23 (.40), but then again she likes her Glock better than my XD, go figure. Oh well, I can't fault her for her bad taste...lol

Reacher

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2008
    Grand Prairie, TX
    I shot the Glock, the XDm and the M&P. I bought the M&P. I've put 250rds through it now with no hiccups. It's very comfortable for me and seems to be very accurate for a HD pistol. If you buy before 4-30, you get a coupon for 2 free mags as well.

That being said, shoot all the ones that you can and then pick the one that feels best for you.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Glock, M&P, XD. All great guns, similar price range, durable, accurate, reliable. Really just boils down to what feels more comfortable. If he could get a hold of a P99, those are pretty sweet, a bit more ergonomic and nicer IMO. Can't really go wrong with any of them as they are all great guns.

DrBart2

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2008
    Burleson
    S&W Sigma Series .40 (I know it's their economy model and I did see an officer of our fine state was firing one chambered in 9mm and the damn thing was jamming like every other mag. I'm wondering if anyone else has had a similiar experience like this with this model?)

My Dad and I have had some bad luck with FTF on our Sigma's, but these were the older models. Don't know about the newer ones.

S&W M&P Series .40(I love the ergonomics of the M&P's. Haven't shot any of them and haven't seen them shot.)

I believe these are excellent guns. I have one in subcompact 9mm and it shoots very well. Here is a short video of my son shooting it.
    Not the best shooting stance, but he hits well with this pistol.
    MVI_1001.flv video by Chaos_l2eaper - Photobucket

SA XD .40(I shot a buddy's 9mmSC a couple of weekends ago and absolutely fell in love with the feel and shot of this gun.)

The XD line is my favorite in "plastic" guns. I have several. The .40 shoots very well and I like the safety features on it.

S&W or WALTHER P99 .40(I love the feel of these guns and Walther's reputation for amazing accuracy)

I had a P99QA at one time. Very good gun. Still scratching my head as to why I sold it?

Ruger DAO .40 (I love Rugers. I have a SP101 and I know revolvers are one thing and semi's are completely different but what can i say I love the feel and look of their pistols.)

This is the only one that I have not had or shot. A buddy of mine has one and loves it.

These are just my experiences with these guns, I am not an expert.

DrBart2

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2008
    Burleson
    I would take an XD over a Glock any day.

LOL, you realize those are fighting words for Glock lovers! The main thing I like about the XD over the Glock is the extra security that the XD has (grip safety). Also, the ergonomics of the XD fits me better than the Glock. Having said that, there is nothing wrong with a Glock. I have never seen or heard of one failing!

brickboy240

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Houston, TX, USA
    I have owned two 40s for a very long time: a Glock 22 and a 4" Springer XD-40.

Both are very reliable and fairly accurate and have never given a lick of trouble. The Glock 22 I have owned since 1994 and the XD-40 is about 5 years old and I bought it used off a buddy that was looking to unload it on the cheap.

Really...go with either of these and you cannot do wrong. One will fit your hand better than the other - pick that one.

Years ago, I was going to ditch both of these pistols, if only to simplify my calibers to only 45 and 9mm. However...I cannot seem to part with guns that give me no troubles so I kept both the G22 and XD40. Glad I did with today's ammo supply problems, because I can usually find 40SW range loads at most stores while the 45s and 9mms are usually sold out.

Summit Gun Broker is selling nice used Glock 22s for about 360 bucks right now....a steal for a pistol of that quality. You might consider buying from them - I have had good luck with his used pistols and they're a great deal.

The XD40 and Glock 22 are BOTH great guns...pick one and shoot happy.

- brickboy240

Skip

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    NW San Antonio
    I love everything about my XDm40, This new "m" series come as a complete kit including The gun, holster, two mag pouch, speedloader, 2 mags, and the grip is adjustable to small, medium, and large. The 40 is a 16+1, and the new XDm9 is 19+1.
    007.jpg

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    LOL, you realize those are fighting words for Glock lovers! The main thing I like about the XD over the Glock is the extra security that the XD has (grip safety). Also, the ergonomics of the XD fits me better than the Glock. Having said that, there is nothing wrong with a Glock. I have never seen or heard of one failing!
    I ain't scared lol I personally have never liked glocks much. I've shot a few and there is nothing wrong with a glock, their just not my thing.

biglucky

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Dripping Springs, TX
    I have a Glock 23 and an M&P .40 and definately prefer the M&P. This is mainly because of the grip angle. I learned to shoot handguns with 1911's and the M&P grip angle is the same as a 1911. Otherwise there isn't much difference between them.

Of course I prefer my H&K UPSc .40 over both of them, but that is kind of off topic.

GM.Chief

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    As I said before, my wife loves her G23 and when I shot it I didn't have any problems with it, I just prefer my XD over it by far. She is the oppposite in this respect. It's all gonna come down to personal preference in the end. But IMO, Glock sounds like something you do after a heavy night of drinking ("No man, I'm good. I think I'm just going to go outside for some fresh *:eek:Glock:eek:* air. *:eek:Gloooock:eek:*.."

BTW, I think we need to add a puking smilie...lmao

claymore504

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Katy, TX
    My uncle is in the market for a .40 for a home defense pistol. We were at the range earlier today and he absolutely fell in love with my girlfriend's HK P2000SK chambered in .40. Can't really say I blame the guy except for the fact that the gun itself is a $950 gun and it's a little out of his current price range. Browsing around I already knew of some options to offer him and also wanted some other opinions.

I had a Sigma .40 in mid 2000. I got it for just under 300.00 new. It jammed like crazy. A guy that was beside me at the range one time told me it was a feed ramp angle problem with the first runs of the Sigma 40. I don't know if that was true, but I sold it and got a Glock 22. I love Glocks due to how simple they are. I have not heard anything about jamming with the current Sigmas.

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    One more option would be a Sig P229 or P239 CPO. Those will run around $550 and are very nice pistols. And FWIW, you don't need to pay $950 for an HK. Check out Sproting Arms in Lewisville. Priced much lower than that.

Ruggles

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    All are good selections but I would go with the P99 or SW99 as the feel to thos 2 are just about perfect.

bikerbill

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2008
    Lago Vista
    had an XD40 for several years and really liked it, shoots very well and never failed to go bang ... sold it to buy a new XDm-9 a few months ago (cutting down on calibers view the ammo shortage) and like the XDm even better. feels great, shoots great and again, no failures ... and 9mm ammo is a lot easier to find than almost anything other than rifle calibers and .22 ...

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    As I said before, my wife loves her G23 and when I shot it I didn't have any problems with it, I just prefer my XD over it by far. She is the oppposite in this respect. It's all gonna come down to personal preference in the end. But IMO, Glock sounds like something you do after a heavy night of drinking ("No man, I'm good. I think I'm just going to go outside for some fresh *:eek:Glock:eek:* air. *:eek:Gloooock:eek:*.."

BTW, I think we need to add a puking smilie...lmao
    LOL I feel the same way!

Top Bottom