• ...and so much more!
  • Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    Do .410 bore shotguns have different choke sizes from one gun to another - or is the choke size the exact same in each .410 bore shotgun - or is choke size not considered in them?
    Venture Surplus ad

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Do .410 bore shotguns have different choke sizes from one gun to another - or is the choke size the exact same in each .410 bore shotgun - or is choke size not considered in them?

Glenn B,

FYI, ALL US-made .410 shotguns (regardless of what they barrel may be marked) come from the factory as FULL CHOKE, according to an "answer to a member's question" in THE NATIONAL RIFLEMAN, 2-3 years ago.

Obviously, IF the inches of barrel is 'sawed off", that is no longer true.

BTW, I'm "seriously considering" having some replicas of the ITHACA AUTO-BURGLAR GUNs, from the 1920s, made to sell as AOW (requiring a one-time BATFE tax of 5.oo) in 20 gauge with 10" barrels & "black synthetic furniture".
    (I have "made arrangements with" a gun-maker, OCONUS, to make the barrels & "80% complete receivers" to import/complete/finish/assemble in Texas.)

yours, satx

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas

Various choke designations are based upon the amount of constriction at the muzzle end of the barrel. Nominally, the constrictions from one manufacture to another is pretty close, but can vary to some degree.

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Glenn B,

FYI, ALL US-made .410 shotguns (regardless of what they barrel may be marked) come from the factory as FULL CHOKE, according to an "answer to a member's question" in THE NATIONAL RIFLEMAN, 2-3 years ago.
    Mine was made in Turkey, no choke designation.

I see 410 slugs are available. I never thought slugs were safe to shoot out a of full choke barrel but now am wondering if they are safe in full choke .410 guns. I mean it would seem they would be safe to shoot in full choke .410 bore guns if it is true all US made 410's have a full choke and since US manufacturers also manufacture .410 slugs. As I said though, I am wondering.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    All I know is that a squirrel is not safe in the top of any existing pine tree.
    Love my 410.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

buckshot4900,

FWIW, up in NETX, where I was born & raised, squirrel hunting & HS football are the "two major religions" & the .410 shotgun is FAVORED by a large percentage of bushytail hunters.
    (Several NETX county ISD boards have pressured the TX Legislature to open squirrel & deer season on SATURDAY, so that the kids/teachers will appear at school on OPENING DAY. - FYI, CCISD closes school on both opening days.)

yours, satx

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Mine was made in Turkey, no choke designation.

I see 410 slugs are available. I never thought slugs were safe to shoot out a of full choke barrel but now am wondering if they are safe in full choke .410 guns. I mean it would seem they would be safe to shoot in full choke .410 bore guns if it is true all US made 410's have a full choke and since US manufacturers also manufacture .410 slugs. As I said though, I am wondering.

Glenn R,

SORRY, I have no better answer as to whether your Turkish .410 is OK with slugs, except contacting the maker/importer/vendor & inquiring.

NOTE: MOST FC shotgun barrels do NOT shoot slugs. accurately. That's WHY the companies make special slug barrels, including barrels with rifle-style sights & some makers also make RIFLED barrels that are especially made for slugs.
    (My 1st cousin has a Model 500R Mossberg with a 22" rifled barrel & a 2X scope that will do 3" five-shot groups "all day long" at 100M. = Numerous WT & other critters have discovered that being a "good ways out yonder" is NOT a safe place to be.)
    "Randy" is a "dead shot" & the best "meat hunter" that I've ever known & he "has access to" several federal properties that allow only SHOTGUNS for hunting.
    (His deep freezer is ALWAYS full of game.)

I'm trying (so far W/O success) to find a maker for a RIFLED 12-gauge barrel, that will accept a scope, for my circa 1949 ITHACA 37T trap-gun.
    (Mine will NOT accept the standard Model 37 slug barrel, W/O being hand-fitted by a skilled gunsmith.)

GOOD LUCK on your search.

yours, satx

Last edited:

single stack

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2011
    FL
    Most shotguns have a standard bore constriction stamped on the barrel or on the water table either with letters or stars.
    My .410 870 Wingmaster had a Mod choke as does my .410 Model 11-48. Both are so labeled and measured Mod on my bore gauge.
    My .410 Savage 311E is bored and measures Mod and Full.
    I also have a Win Model 42 that is Full. Model 42’s could be ordered with the constriction of your choice.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    single stack,

My (circa May 1934) Model 42 is marked SKEET but the bore measures as FULL. = Thus my GUESS is that the NRA was correct & that all USA .410 shotguns are FULL CHOKE regardless of what is stamped on the barrel.

Fwiw, a PU truck likely could not hold all the squirrels & doves that have fallen to just that one pump-gun.
    (It was bought used by my uncle in DEC 1942 & passed on to me in 1958. = When he is old enough to hunt, Nathan Paul will receive it from me.)

yours, satx

mp_tx

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    Austin
    Glenn B,

BTW, I'm "seriously considering" having some replicas of the ITHACA AUTO-BURGLAR GUNs, from the 1920s, made to sell as AOW (requiring a one-time BATFE tax of 5.oo) in 20 gauge with 10" barrels & "black synthetic furniture".
    (I have "made arrangements with" a gun-maker, OCONUS, to make the barrels & "80% complete receivers" to import/complete/finish/assemble in Texas.)

yours, satx

What’s the point of an 80 percent receiver, if it’s going to have to be serialized to submit to BATFE for AOW stamp? Why not bring them in as 100 percent? What does an 80 percent shotgun receiver look like—what machining would be needed to make it 100 percent?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Coyote9

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 13, 2020
    Granbury Texas
    Glenn B,

yours, satx
    I had a Winchester model 42 with a Skeet marked barrel, I bought it second hand and it might have been a custom order.

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Glenn R,

SORRY, I have no better answer as to whether your Turkish .410 is OK with slugs, except contacting the maker/importer/vendor & inquiring.

yours, satx
    That is who I am going to next - the manufacturer. Well, maybe to Academy and then to nthe manufacturer but from what I have read in their manual already, it may be hopeless. They say the gun has ejectors, it does not. The shell casing comes out about 1/4" when you; open the action. Anyway, I will check with them as there is no indiucation of choke anywhere that I have seen.

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Glenn R,

NOTE: MOST FC shotgun barrels do NOT shoot slugs. accurately. That's WHY the companies make special slug barrels, including barrels with rifle-style sights & some makers also make RIFLED barrels that are especially made for slugs.

yours, satx
    Those rifled barrels, as far as I am aware, are made for sabot slugs not for rifled slugs, rifled slugs are intended for smoothbore barrels. You can shoot either type of slug out of either type of barrel but it affects accuracy when using the wrong type.

Lost Spurs

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 24, 2011
    BCS
    What’s the point of an 80 percent receiver, if it’s going to have to be serialized to submit to BATFE for AOW stamp? Why not bring them in as 100 percent? What does an 80 percent shotgun receiver look like—what machining would be needed to make it 100 percent?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    If it was a shotgun it would be a SBS and a $200 dollar stamp. If a manufacture assembles it having never actually been a shotgun it can be stamped as an AOW and transferred for $5. AOW's cannot be made on a form 1 by a non manufacture.

A couple places have made such AOW's before. I know that serbu and black aces has done it.

Here is a pic on a AOW I owned at one point. It went out to the wild on a $5 dollar transfer.

As to the 80% question, I can only assume it makes importing easier. It is also hard to get bulk shotgun recievers that have never been assembled as shotguns.
    fcaaeece91ce0529389a0a9fcafb5dd2.jpg

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

hornetguy

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 21, 2021
    Allen, Texas
    They say the gun has ejectors, it does not. The shell casing comes out about 1/4" when you; open the action.
    I think there is a little selector switch on them that allows the shooter to choose either extraction or ejection. I'm pretty sure that's the way my 20ga Yildiz was. I could be wrong, though.... check the owner's manual and see what it says.

Top Bottom