.410 shotgun shell - odd size primer???

cajuntec

Mar 13, 2009
San Antonio TX
I have not started reloading yet. I recently acquired my first ever reloader - a MEC 600JR MK5 for my .410. The powder I received with it went right into a storage container, and will not see the light of day until I get and read the appropriate reloading manual(s).

I also received shot, wads and a bunch of empty hulls. The gentleman that sold these to me said that these Remington hulls (green hulls) use a "different" primer than the regular 209 shotgun primer - a "little smaller", and he thought they were a 209P or 209R - can't remember exactly what he said they were. Wish I had wrote it down.

Now, I'm going to do some research into this, particularly with a reloading manual in hand, but just wanted to know if anyone has come across this, and if they are worth buying primers for? Or should I just dispose of these and reload the ones that take regular shotgun primers? I was thinking - "Don't confuse things... get one and stick with it" when it comes to reloading.

Thoughts?

All the best,
Glenn

robocop10mm

Jan 9, 2009
Round Rock
If they are older hulls they may have been made for the Remington #57 primer. The 57's were smaller in diameter than a 109 or 209 primer. I don't believe they make them anymore. There is a 209-4 primer that is made for the .410. It reportedly has about 1/2 the flame of a standard 209 and is specially made for the .410 hull.

Some people have had decent luck "mashing' the 209 primers into hulls made for the 57, but I would nor recommend trying this.

Support

Sponsors

Greeneye Tactical
silencers
third coast
DK Firearms
Tyrant Designs
Ranier
Shroud
Every Day Man

Forum statistics

Threads