• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wildcat

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Been CHL carrying my Hsc Mauser in .380 for years. Most beautiful pistol ever made. The estate we are helping, however, has a 3" barrel .44 special that looks interesting, and if ever had to use CHL, would be more effective. Latest Shotgun News has a .44 Special artical telling of different rounds made for it. Two caught my eye--Corbon has a 200 g. in their brass pedal bullet at 1000 fps, and Black Hills has a 255g Keith lead bullet at 800 fps. What is the opinion of stopping powder close range?
    ARJ Defense ad

mac79912

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    Black hills and corbons are excellent defense rounds.Kick on a 3" 44 is going to be strong.You can magna port your pistol to help with the muzzle flip.

Pappy

Resident Septuagenarian
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    Texas
    Here is my S&W 696 in .44 SPL;

DSC_4012.jpg

ocharry

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 21, 2008
    hey wildcat ,,what brand is the 44 you are talking about???

i really like the taurus 5 shot,, i think they were made on a 38 frame because they are smaller than a smith

i have been looking for a deal on one of the taurus models for a long time,,course now that they don't make them you don't see them much,,,,come to think of it i don't member seeing them much when they did make them

unless you roll your own 44 special stuff is pricey

my .02

ocharry

LHB1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    Houston
    Wildcat,
    I know of at least one actual recorded instance of a .44 Special being used successfully for self defense. In the Boot Hill cemetery outside Tombstone, AZ, there is a grave with the following inscription:

Here lies Lester Moore,
    Four shots from a .44,
    No Les No More.

wildcat

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Ocharry---it is a Taurus--have not looked to see if 5 or 6 shot. Think the .44 in Tombstone was a .44-40. The Special was a later longer 44 Russian.

ocharry

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 21, 2008
    i like the model 431,,,i found one in a gun shop but we were about $100 dollars apart,,, the 431 has fixed sights,,and it came with a 3 and 4" under luged barrel,,,taurus also made a 441 and added adjustable sights and i think this one could be had with a 6" barrel too

they are nice pistols,,,i want one in Stainless,,and the one in the shop was blue,, or i probably would have bit the bullet(oh look,, i made a funny)

i will find what i want one day

ocharry

kgdbtx

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2008
    Dallas, Texas
    Rossi 44 special

I found a Rossi 720 in 44 special in a gun shop in Dallas earlier this week, if it's still there early next week, I'll be buying it. It's a bit bigger than a snub, but still fairly diminutive and I'll bet a powerhouse defense gun. I've been wanting one of these, or one of the Taurus guns, for a long, long time.

TexasHK

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2008
    Seguin, Tx
    If your trying to manage recoil a bit with a 44 SPL - you might consider getting a 44 Mag and shooting specials in it - kind of like shooting 38 SPL in a 357 Mag.

Top Bottom