• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • deerspy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2008
    Hi, all Iam new to this site looks like there are a lot good folks here.

just got a new S&W 44spl. looking for reloading data for 180gr lead bullets
    I look on the Hodgon Powder site and noticed that they list .430 as the diameter of bullet the ones I bought say .431 will this be a problem with
    pressure buildup? and does any one have a good pratice load using WW231?

thanks
    Military Camp

deerspy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2008
    :rolleyes:does any one know if you can swage bullets with out relubing them (could I swage my .431 sized and lubed down to .429 or .430 with out damaging the lube that is all ready there)?

Bullseye Shooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Texas Panhandle
    You did not say what kind of .44 Spl. you bought, but .431 should be fine. Your revolver's forcing cone should have enough leeway to allow a slightly larger bullet.
    I would not try and swage the bullets you have down to .429.
    You might want to mike the bullets and double check their size, but with light loads they should be okay.
    I've used Bullseye which is similar to 231; both burn fast and take very little powder to get decent target loads.
    I don't have any load for 231, but my old Lyman book shows 4.0 grains of BE with a 180 grain cast lead bullet at 691 fps. Max is 6.8 grains of BE for a velocity of 1033.
    7 grains of Unique would work as well for a starting load with that bullet.

deerspy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2008
    I have two charter bulldog that I don't shoot any more to dangres.
    so bought new S&W night guard, what a difference buying a charter was a waste of money!

I use WW231 in 38 spl and 45ACP thought I would use it in 44spl so would not have to buy more powder.
    after trying 180gr rnfp .430 diameter with 4.8 gr WW231 worked but did not burn clean I have heard that tigthgroup burns better might try this and switch everthing to it would like to have only one powder.

Rifleman55

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    I have two charter bulldog that I don't shoot any more to dangres.
    so bought new S&W night guard, what a difference buying a charter was a waste of money!

I use WW231 in 38 spl and 45ACP thought I would use it in 44spl so would not have to buy more powder.
    after trying 180gr rnfp .430 diameter with 4.8 gr WW231 worked but did not burn clean I have heard that tigthgroup burns better might try this and switch everthing to it would like to have only one powder.
    I have used 5.3 231 with 250 gr cast in44special cases i my 44 mag they get about 750 ft per second and no recoil. You need more powder try two or three grains more of 231.

philbo

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2008
    Houston
    ... just got a new S&W 44spl. looking for reloading data for 180gr lead bullets
    I look on the Hodgon Powder site and noticed that they list .430 as the diameter of bullet the ones I bought say .431 will this be a problem with
    pressure buildup? and does any one have a good pratice load using WW231?

thanks

The extra thousands of an inch may cause leading faster at the forcing cone, but I don't if it will be much of an issue. Any of the loads listed for HP38 will work for W231 since they're the same powder, which would seem to be 4.4 to 5.6 grns. In an L or N frame S&W you could safely work up a little beyond that with care and testing.

Top Bottom