45 acp not chambering correctly

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by si vis pacem para b, Feb 4, 2009.

1. si vis pacem para b

si vis pacem para b New Member

Apr 23, 2008
    Hey guys,
    I have been reloading for quite some time but I am not an expert by any means. Today I relaoded a couple hundred rounds with a friend that is interested in reloading, so I walked him through the steps then we went to the range and shot our reloads. It seemed like one out of every ten rounds we shot didn't chamber properly, the slide would stay back about an eighth of an inch. Any Ideas on what was causing this?

Thanks,
    Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

2. 40Arpent

40Arpent TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    Bulged cases or dirty chamber?

3. Castrolr1

Castrolr1 Member

Dec 20, 2008
    If you can push the back of the slide with your thumb and it returns to battery it could just be a weak recoil spring

4. TexasRedneck

TexasRedneck 1911 Nut Lifetime Member

Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Or a light load - what powder & charge didja use? An' ya DID resize properly, right? Mic some of the rounds ya didn't shoot....

5. JKTex

JKTex Well-Known

Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    I agree with all the guesses so far.

I'd run some factory ammo through it and see if it runs fine. If so, it's you loads. If not, it's the gun. Could be the recoil spring if it's ready to be changed, could be a mag issue, slide stop issue, could be........ You get the picture. :tongueout:

6. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Active Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Round Rock
    What kind of gun was the brass fired through last time? If it was Glock fired, it could have a bulge below the level the sizing die can reach.

Were they taper crimped? Check to see there is not still a slight flare at the mouth.

Were the primers properly seated? The primers should be flush with the case base or slightly below it. If they stick up a bit it can impeded chambering and can cause slam fires.

Were you using lead bullets? Sometime lead and or lube will build up just forward of the case mouth preventing the round from fully chambering. A bit more flare to the mouth will usually prevent this. Once again taper crimping can be involved. A taper crimp should be a separate operation. Do not seat and taper crimp at the same station, especially with a lead bullet.

Get a case gauge and drop each into the gauge. They should fall freely into and out of the gauge. In a pinch, remove the barrel of the intended gun and use it as a case gauge. MidwayUSA sells a set of gauges for .380, .38 Super, 9mm, 10 mm, .40 S&W and .45. Priced reasonably and comes in a handy box. Or you can get the gauges separately.

7. mac79912

mac79912 Well-Known

Mar 4, 2008
    Do you have any pics?

8. geocole

geocole New Member

May 10, 2008
    San Antonio TX
    Field strip your gun and use you barrel as a case gauge.
    If they fall in and out of the chamber freely you are good to go.

9. JKTex

JKTex Well-Known

Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    I wouldn't bother wasting time replying any more. The last time the OP was even on the site was when he posted started this thread.