45 acp not chambering correctly

si vis pacem para b

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apr 23, 2008
Hey guys,
I have been reloading for quite some time but I am not an expert by any means. Today I relaoded a couple hundred rounds with a friend that is interested in reloading, so I walked him through the steps then we went to the range and shot our reloads. It seemed like one out of every ten rounds we shot didn't chamber properly, the slide would stay back about an eighth of an inch. Any Ideas on what was causing this?

Thanks,
Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Castrolr1

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dec 20, 2008
If you can push the back of the slide with your thumb and it returns to battery it could just be a weak recoil spring

JKTex

Well-Known
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mar 11, 2008
DFW, North Texas
I agree with all the guesses so far.

I'd run some factory ammo through it and see if it runs fine. If so, it's you loads. If not, it's the gun. Could be the recoil spring if it's ready to be changed, could be a mag issue, slide stop issue, could be........ You get the picture.

robocop10mm

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Jan 9, 2009
Round Rock
What kind of gun was the brass fired through last time? If it was Glock fired, it could have a bulge below the level the sizing die can reach.

Were they taper crimped? Check to see there is not still a slight flare at the mouth.

Were the primers properly seated? The primers should be flush with the case base or slightly below it. If they stick up a bit it can impeded chambering and can cause slam fires.

Were you using lead bullets? Sometime lead and or lube will build up just forward of the case mouth preventing the round from fully chambering. A bit more flare to the mouth will usually prevent this. Once again taper crimping can be involved. A taper crimp should be a separate operation. Do not seat and taper crimp at the same station, especially with a lead bullet.

Get a case gauge and drop each into the gauge. They should fall freely into and out of the gauge. In a pinch, remove the barrel of the intended gun and use it as a case gauge. MidwayUSA sells a set of gauges for .380, .38 Super, 9mm, 10 mm, .40 S&W and .45. Priced reasonably and comes in a handy box. Or you can get the gauges separately.

JKTex

Well-Known
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mar 11, 2008
DFW, North Texas
I wouldn't bother wasting time replying any more. The last time the OP was even on the site was when he posted started this thread.

Support

Sponsors

Greeneye Tactical
silencers
third coast
DK Firearms
Tyrant Designs
Ranier
Every Day Man
Shroud
Shroud

Latest posts