.45 self defense ammo

Discussion in 'General Firearms & Ammo' started by Amistad, Aug 25, 2009.

1. Amistad

Amistad Member

Jul 11, 2008
    San Antone
    I recently obtained some Winchester Ranger RA45T rounds. I am not in law enforcement, nor is anyone in my family. A friend of mine told me that it is illegal for a civilian to possess this type of ammo and that if I ever shot someone with such LEO ammo, I would be in big trouble. Is this true? Thanks!

Amistad

2. boycan

boycan Active Member

Mar 6, 2009
    North Dallas
    I don't think so, my son in law tries to get me to buy it all the time and he is cop. There is also a pawn shop close to me that has several boxes I been eyebawlin! LOL

3. jvanwink

jvanwink New Member

Jan 11, 2009
    45 Self Defense Ammo

You can own it. Ammunitiontogo.com has info about the Ranger ammo. I am pretty sure it was Winchester's rule and not the Governments.

4. Texas42

Texas42 TGT Addict

Nov 21, 2008
    Temple
    It isn't illegal, as long as it isn't "armor Peircing" handgun ammo.

I'm 99.9% sure that rangers aren't.

The thing is that the ammo companies usually don't market particular ammo series to non-LEO's.

Don't know why, just trying to avoid flak from the anti-gun people I guess.

You can usually get the ammo from online, though a bit hit-or-miss cause supply isn't steady.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

5. crazy_taco

crazy_taco New Member

Aug 18, 2009
    El Paso
    Ranger ammo is perfectly legal to own by civilians. It's just marketed toward LEO. Some places require police/military/Government ID to buy it, but that's purely store policy. It is NOT "armor piercing". Not many hollow points are...

6. BurkGlocker

BurkGlocker Active Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Burkburnett, TX
    Winchester Rangers are perfectly legal to own as a civilian and as others have said are marketed towards to the LEO community. Some web sites such as Streichers have restricted the sales of Rangers to LE only and have made it a little more difficult to obtain for civilians. Now, if you were to possibly shoot someone in SD using said products it is possible that some lawyers may make the ramifications a little harder to deal with than if you used ammunition marketed for civilian use...

7. dbgun

dbgun TGT Addict

Mar 17, 2008
    Houston, TX.
    It's not illegal. It's just expensive.

8. wtchdr4011

wtchdr4011 New Member

Aug 23, 2009
    Llano Estacado
    $24.99/50 for Ranger T is expensive?

9. dbgun

dbgun TGT Addict

Mar 17, 2008
    Houston, TX.
    Sorry about that. I always hear the Ranger T ammo as being the same as Black Talon, which seems (was thinking of Black Talon) pretty expensive to me.

10. wtchdr4011

wtchdr4011 New Member

Aug 23, 2009
    Llano Estacado
    Isn't the current production Ranger T a 4th or 5th gen Black Talon less the black. The Ranger T I have recovered sure open up like a Black Talon.