• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Amistad

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2008
    San Antone
    I recently obtained some Winchester Ranger RA45T rounds. I am not in law enforcement, nor is anyone in my family. A friend of mine told me that it is illegal for a civilian to possess this type of ammo and that if I ever shot someone with such LEO ammo, I would be in big trouble. Is this true? Thanks!

Amistad
    Capitol Armory ad

boycan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    North Dallas
    I don't think so, my son in law tries to get me to buy it all the time and he is cop. There is also a pawn shop close to me that has several boxes I been eyebawlin! LOL

jvanwink

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    45 Self Defense Ammo

You can own it. Ammunitiontogo.com has info about the Ranger ammo. I am pretty sure it was Winchester's rule and not the Governments.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    It isn't illegal, as long as it isn't "armor Peircing" handgun ammo.

I'm 99.9% sure that rangers aren't.

The thing is that the ammo companies usually don't market particular ammo series to non-LEO's.

Don't know why, just trying to avoid flak from the anti-gun people I guess.

You can usually get the ammo from online, though a bit hit-or-miss cause supply isn't steady.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

crazy_taco

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2009
    El Paso
    Ranger ammo is perfectly legal to own by civilians. It's just marketed toward LEO. Some places require police/military/Government ID to buy it, but that's purely store policy. It is NOT "armor piercing". Not many hollow points are...

BurkGlocker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2009
    Burkburnett, TX
    Winchester Rangers are perfectly legal to own as a civilian and as others have said are marketed towards to the LEO community. Some web sites such as Streichers have restricted the sales of Rangers to LE only and have made it a little more difficult to obtain for civilians. Now, if you were to possibly shoot someone in SD using said products it is possible that some lawyers may make the ramifications a little harder to deal with than if you used ammunition marketed for civilian use...

dbgun

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Houston, TX.
    $24.99/50 for Ranger T is expensive?

Sorry about that. I always hear the Ranger T ammo as being the same as Black Talon, which seems (was thinking of Black Talon) pretty expensive to me.

wtchdr4011

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Llano Estacado
    Sorry about that. I always hear the Ranger T ammo as being the same as Black Talon, which seems (was thinking of Black Talon) pretty expensive to me.

Isn't the current production Ranger T a 4th or 5th gen Black Talon less the black. The Ranger T I have recovered sure open up like a Black Talon.

dbgun

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Houston, TX.
    Isn't the current production Ranger T a 4th or 5th gen Black Talon less the black.

That's how I understand it. I heard it from one of the dealers at a gun show quite a while ago.

BurkGlocker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2009
    Burkburnett, TX
    When comparing the old Black Talons against the newer T-Series the talons on the the BTs are quite shorter than the ones on the T-Series, but in retrospect, the BTs talons are alot sharper than the newer Ranger's.

This page has a pic of the old BTs...
    [URL="http://www.tds-us.com/catalog.php/tds/dt44310/Ranger_Talon_LEO"][url]http://www.tds-us.com/catalog.php/tds/dt44310/Ranger_Talon_LEO[/URL][/URL]

And here are some personal pics of mine of the newer T-Series...
    45ACPRearView.jpg

45ACP230grPWinchesterRangerT-Series.jpg

The +P .45 ACP loadings have expanded to over 1.130" in diameter measured over the talons... Very nasty buggers...

Sidewayz

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Decatur, TX
    I have Ranger RA45TP that looks exactly like BurkGlockers photos. It was fired from my XD at 3 one gallon water jugs lined up. The Ranger litterally exploded the 1st two jugs to pieces then lodged itself in the exit side of the 3rd jug.

It performs equally well from my new Glock 36 also. And is my #1 carry ammo choice.

Amistad

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2008
    San Antone
    Thank you for each and every reply. I have my PX4 loaded up with these rounds, ready to come to my defense if a desperate situation were to be forced upon me.

Amistad

Top Bottom