• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mclarenross

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Hornady makes a 200gr ballistic tip .452" diameter bullet. I think it would work great for my friends 1911 that will not feed hollow points. Its only .001" different from what its supposed to be. Will that really make that much difference? I know guys who shoot 158gr .357" lead cast bullets in 9mm for sub-sonic loads, this shouldn't be much different right?

45215.jpg
    Military Camp

TSU45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2008
    San Marcos, Tx
    You can load .452 lead or plated bullets in ACP. Not sure I've ever seen a jacketed .452 bullet in ACP. Did you call Hornady?

How long are those bullets with the polymer tip? They might not be able to load to mag-length regardless.

Bullseye Shooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Texas Panhandle
    I looked at the Hornady catalog on line and this bullet appears to be primarily a rifle bullet, not handgun. Jacketed bullets for the .45 ACP should measure .451. Lead bullets in .452 are the norm, but a jacketed bullet in that diameter could cause pressure problems. You might suggest to your friend to have the feed ramp on his pistol polished. That might help with the HP feeding problem.

Some 9mm pistols actually like bullets that are .358 BTW. The 9mm is a strange bird when it comes to loading lead bullets.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    The 9mm had some variation, especially in the begining, right?

Are those 454 casull bullets? I thought they were that diameter.

Major Woody

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2008
    Your probably going to crush the cases when you try to press them. .451 is for ACP. I just pressed some Hornady XTP's [.451] and they even crushed a few cases but they are accurate.

Bullseye Shooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Texas Panhandle
    Damn. Well I tried. I have polished the hell out of his feed ramp to no avail. It hangs every couple rounds. I saw that Cor-Bon has some ammo called Pow-r-ball that are hollow points with a polymer ball in the cavity but I cant find them for reloading.

There are also some other variables besides the feed ramp. Sometimes it's as simple as changing magazines. I've added heavier Wolf springs and rounded followers and that seems to help with different profile bullets. You might check out the various 1911 forums for some help.

robocop10mm

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 9, 2009
    Round Rock
    Make sure he is not trying to feed HP's from a "ball" magazine. The feed lips are very different. Most GI mags have a simple flare to the feed lips (they get farther apart toward the front). A good HP mag will have a pronounced step in the feed lips. This allows the mag to release the round earlier. The ball mag simply progressively releases its hold on the bullet.

Some brass may be thin enough to load .452 bullets. I believe Sierra .45 ACP bullets are .4515. If the gun has generous chamber dimensions you may find the .452's ok.

Has he tried Speer Gold Dots? They have a reputation for feeding like ball ammo.

Bullseye Shooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Texas Panhandle
    What are some brands that make HP mags? He has a number of colts and a number of Chip McCormicks.

Wilson makes a good mag. For my Bullseye guns, I use std USGI mags that I added Metalform round followers and the heavier Wolf spring. They feed semi-wadcutters without any problems in my Clark wad gun and Colt Gold Cup. You can get the Wolf mag springs from either Gil Hebard or Brownells. I like using Gil since he has low shipping charges and caters to Bullseye shooters. He also carries the round followers. He does not have a website but if you do a internet search, he should come up.

Hank783

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    Richardson, Texas
    45ACP ammo

There are also some other variables besides the feed ramp. Sometimes it's as simple as changing magazines. I've added heavier Wolf springs and rounded followers and that seems to help with different profile bullets. You might check out the various 1911 forums for some help.

I have been shooting 45ACP in several 1911's and other autos and have never had a feeding problem with any ammo that is either.451 or .452 bullet diameter. I currently shoot colt and S&W pistols, a Springfield Armory Range Officer, a LLama 45 1911 and Smith 4506's. I run .452 230 grain lead round ball through all of them with no problems. The 4506's feed anything you can put in the magazine - a real garbage eater. You should be able to run either .451 or .452 ammo without any problems. ,454 is not for the 45 ACP.

Also, I have never heard of a special magazine for different 45ACP ammo - news to me. Have been reloading and shooting for over 45 years - Only problem on feeding was with some 200 Gr. semiwadcitters that were not seated deep enough.

Good luck

Hank

Hank783

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    Richardson, Texas
    Special Mags???

News to me - never heard of a difference in mags for HP and ball ammo. I shoot 15 different 45 autos and shoor all kinds of ammo (200 Gr ,ead Semi-wad cutters, 230 grain Lead round nots, 200 gr Hollow Points and 23o grain Hollow Poits in all of them without any problems. I have been reloading since around 1950 without any problems. Wish you luck with your problem

Hank

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    I load for the 45 Colt as well as the ACP. IME you're always gtg loading 45 colt lead bullets in the acp or loading acp bullets(any kind) into 45 LC cases. However, an oversize 45 Colt jacketed bullet(.452) is a no-go in an acp cartridge. Also, most 45 colt bullets are flat nosed for use in a lever gun as well as a handgun(so they don't chain-off from recoil in a tube mag). So, although you could load 45 acp RN bullets into a 45LC case, they would only be safe to use in revolvers. Usually OAL is not an issue, it's the bullet profile that effects feeding.

tmd11111

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    San Angelo, Tx
    Those .452 diameter Hornady's are actually designed for the .454 Casull and .460 mag. They have a thicker jacket to withstand the pressures and velocities of those two cartridges.

OLDVET

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Richardson, Texas
    I bought 1K jacketed .45 ACP 230 gr. bullets from Precision Delta last year. They measure .452 dia. and they shoot fine out of my 1911. I prefer a .452 bullet to be a lead 200 gr. SWC. I have 25,000 rounds down this barrel, so I am not too concerned with accelerated barrel wear

Top Bottom