• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texasgrillchef

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2018
    Lewisville
    According to the latest Hornady reloading manual.

For a 240gr XTP bullet using Alliant 2400 powder they list a min load of 30gr to a max of 32.6 grains. With thr min FPS at min load of 1600 and max at 1750.

For a 300gr XTP bullet they list min for the same powder as 25.4gr 1400fps and 27gr for 1500fps. 27gr being max.

Logic using physics should dictate that if I used only 25.4grs of powder on the 240gr bullet which is less then the 32.6gr minimum that yes it would travel slower then 1600fps but would be faster then 1400fps of the heavier 300gr bullet. And at that powder load shouldnt cause issues with the case or gun?

Am i correct?

The reason i am asking is that i have not been able to find any load data for a FMJFP 250gr bullet that i would prefet to use for my 454 casull. Dont see any logical reason (based on physics) that it shouldnt work in a 454 casull case (at higher speeds/pressures) since it works just find in a 45 colt case in the same gun.
    Just want casull type benfits from a 250gr projectile instead of 240 and the higher cost of the hornady 240gr xtp bullet.

Wondering what formulas actually exist that are used by those who write these manuals actually use if they were presented a new bullet to test???
    Hurley's Gold

Deavis

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 20, 2011
    Austin
    You are trying to simplify something with "physics" while ignoring some very basic issues that must be addressed before applying said "physics" properly.

First, a 250gr bullet made for 45 Colt at its very low pressure may be completely unsuitable for the high pressure 454 loadings. There is over 40k psi difference in pressure and the Casull can rip the jackets (or plating I bet in the 250gr bullet example) right off causing real issues for you.

Now, onto powder. What powder? You want to drop the 240gr load minimum 5 grains? Is it H110/296? A powder that with reduced loads can lead to stuck bullets or, worse, SEE? Smokeless powder is not linear in its burn rate and dropping it 10 or 20% from published minimums could cause real issues depending on the powder.

The data in those manuals aren't derived from formulae, but rather from real test barrel work. They work with the components and make decisions based on actual data and not predicting physics. While I realize and admit there is leeway in many cases, you are talking about an edge case cartridge at 60k psi. You need to understand your gun, the powders, and the bullets before you apply "physics" cavierlly.

Bottom line, you haven't given enough information to properly consider the outcomes for an experienced loader with that cartridge. No offense personally.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I gotta agree with Deavis here.

Not quite enough info on all components being used and you could be venturing into dangerous territory going below listed minimums.

Some powder can get explosive if loaded too low in a case. Like blow up your gun explosive. This is why manufacturers suggest not going below listed minimum charges.

Bullet construction gets very critical when stepping up to magnum cartridges. Tearing off plating and shedding jackets becomes a real problem.

If you can't find the data you are searching for there may be a reason why.

Pointman91

Will work for gun food
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2018
    Jacksonville Texas
    I had great results with the 250gr XTP MAG bullet in .454 and 460 magnum . When I asked on another forum what the difference was between the 250 XTP and 250 XTP MAG bullets was told the latter had a thicker jacket. I was using H110 powder , so can't help with load data. I never had better results with 2400 powder in any magnum handgun loads so gave up on it long ago.

Top Bottom