• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jar

Aug 26, 2008
    The Valley
    I've only seen pics of the Mk I; never ran across one at a show yet. The Mk VI is a great pistol ... strongest top-break revolver ever built.
    Along that line, I needed a replacement cam lock screw to replace the buggered headed one on my Mark IV. I found someone who could make one and blue it to match the Webley bluing but when it arrived it was for the Mark VI instead of the smaller IV.

standard.jpg

Now the cam is a really low stress item, it is just the post for the cam that works the ejector when the cylinder is opened. What I found interesting were two factors, first, how much bigger the VI cam lock screw was compared to the IV...

medium800.jpg

... and that both slots were designed to fit and be turned with a common Two Pence with the bottom of the slot concave to match the curve of the coin instead of the more normal flat head seen on all the other screws.

standard.jpg

In a pinch the rim of a 455 could also be used but they kept the slot the same even though the rim on a 38/200 tended to bugger up the head on the screw.

The advantage was that once the cam lock screw was removed the whole cylinder could be easily lifted off the frame for total cleaning and without any tools other than what the average soldier or policeman would have in his pocket. The size and content of the Two Pence was the same throughout the British Empire so it would not matter if it was an English or Indian or Australian or Canadian or Bermudian or Burmese Two Pence.

On my H&R Defender which is a slightly newer but similar design top break 38/200 or 38S&W revolver and from about the same era as the Webley Mark IV you just open the gun and pull up on the cylinder while rotating it until an indent lines up and it lifts free.

standard.jpg
    Lynx Defense

Attachments

• standard.jpg
      standard.jpg
      24.7 KB · Views: 319
    • medium800.jpg
      medium800.jpg
      12.9 KB · Views: 260
    • standard.jpg
      standard.jpg
      44.9 KB · Views: 301
    • standard.jpg
      standard.jpg
      49.5 KB · Views: 289

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    I've always been a huge fan of the Webley revolver, probably since seeing them in Indiana Jones and Black Adder...

800px-ijlc-webleycavea.png

500px-BGF_Webley_01.jpg

Attachments

• 800px-ijlc-webleycavea.png
      800px-ijlc-webleycavea.png
      207 KB · Views: 270
    • 500px-BGF_Webley_01.jpg
      500px-BGF_Webley_01.jpg
      18.6 KB · Views: 278
    Top Bottom