• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Stag

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    Spring, TX (HoustonMetro)
    Okay, Haven't posted in awhile.. but looking for big thumper... will be using it for hunting Bison, elk, deer, and Piggies. Also, things to keep in mind, I have a Stag 5.56 lower ready to go....just sitting around in my safe, doing nothing.

I will be reloading for whatever cartridge I plan on using..

So, I dont know what would be better, in the long run.. Should I try to aquire a .458 socom upper to mate up to my AR lower

OR

Get a Lever Action Marlin 1895 SBL 45-70. (I have been reading that the quality control on the latest Marlins are pretty bad, which concerns me)

Is 458 Socom a pipe dream? Brass and tips hard to get? Factory ammo seems hard to get.

45-70 seems ready-to-go.. but are the rifles? I love Lever Actions.. first rifle ever was a Marlin 336 30-30. Still use it. Are there any other brands that offer repeating lever actions..

Any input would be appreciated.

Take care.
    Gun Zone Deals

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    If you want to shoot either you need to reload.
    They benefit greatly fron hand loading. The 458 socom is an awsome "thumper" to use your words. It's in all respects a modern 45-70 in a modern platform. The 45-70 is for all intents and purposes the same round at the same speed. The question is are you a modern guy or a classic western guy? What kind of knife do you carry? emerson or case? Pistol: Glock or blackhawk? Get the gun that suites you. Both will do the job.

winchster

Right Wing Extremist
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Justin, TX
    I own a 45-70 guide gun. I love it and I'm a Winchester guy not a marlin guy. That being said, the 458 is next on the list.
    Buy both. I'm gonna, I just started with the lever.

mikeofcontex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Midlothian, TX
    Don't forget the 444 Marlin and the 450 Marlin. I'd even consider the 35 Remington. All are available in the Marlin 336 platform. Though I haven't owned one yet, the 444 Marlin is the direction I'm considering.

PS... the 375 Winchester is another candidate, but ammo is expensive and hard to find.

winchster

Right Wing Extremist
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Justin, TX
    Just my .02 but the 45-70 is a better choice than the 444 for several reasons. Bigger bullet being top of the list. And since he plans to reload the 45-70 is a better option than the 450 as well.

mikeofcontex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Midlothian, TX
    I am a fan of the 45-70 and have an H&R single shot. You can warm the loads a bit more than factory, but not much. The 336 will handle the "mid" loads which is quite an improvement over the factory loads. The 336 has no extra room (tolerance) for something larger than the 45-70. A little research puts the KE of the 444 between the 45-70 factory and the 45-70 336 loads. The 450 Marlin exceeds the 45-70 336 loads by a few hundred ft-lbs.

The 35 Rem and 375 Win trail quite a bit, but will stop most things that won't hunt back. If you look at the Browning BLR, you could include the 358 Win in the mix.

woolleyworm

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2011
    Cleburne
    Plan on spending a fortune on ammo if you decide to go with the 458 and shoot it very much. Reloads are running close to $3.50 ea ( using 500gn solids and 1x brass ) Brass life has been very short ( 3-4 tops ) I don't own a 458, but a close friend does and we've had a ton of fun with it, but it is damned expensive to shoot. The 45-70 isn't much cheaper, but components are much easier to find and you can find ample hardcast to keep reloading costs down.

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    Marlin 1895 SBL

mfc_1895sbl.jpg

Wild West Guns Alaskan Co-Pilot
    bigcopilotred1.jpg

Stag

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    Spring, TX (HoustonMetro)
    Thanks Everyone for their insight. I was doing a little more research on .458 and I have heard its really hard to get brass. And from what some of you guys have said, .458 brass doesn't last too long.. also @ 3.50 a round for reloads..holy crap that is pricey. While it would be cool to get an AR Thumper..I think I am going to go with the Lever Action 45-70, seems like an easier round to acquire. I have seen the Wild West guns website. They are pricey but damn cool.

I would like the Marlin 1895 SBL , just like the one above, with the Gray Laminated Stock, Stainless barrel. Finding one is hard... I heard Marlin quality control has gone down the tubes since it has moved and Remington bought them out.. That was my only reason for going .458 Socom, well, AR Big bore is badA$$, and I already have a lower collecting dust.

I just need to hold out for the right Lever Action to come along. Unless anyone know of another Big Bore caliber I can abuse in an AR or Lever Action.

Top Bottom