• ...and so much more!
  • deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I have been looking for a new gun to add to my collection. I have been a bit enamored with the 458 SOCOM for a couple of years. But the ammo cost has kept me away. Yet I still keep thinking about it.

I read through several posts on here regarding that weapon, but there is not a lot of info on this board. With this many members, there have to be a few that own this gun. So..... tell me what you know, what you like, what you hate about this weapon.

And.... go!

A.Texas.Yankee

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    NTX
    It is expensive to shoot and there are limited amount of parts compared to other calibers. Reloading isn't cheap either and components aren't easy or cheap to obtain. That's why.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

A.Texas.Yankee

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    NTX
    Weapon is fun to shoot. Kicks pretty good out of a 16" barrel. Doesn't serve a huge purpose, IMO. Loved having it for a while, but was heavy, rarely shot it due to ammo cost and availability, and really didn't see it suiting any need other calibers I already own and reload for don't fit. I would trust my HD shotty more in a SHTF situation and using it for hunting doesn't offer a real advantage. Just a novelty caliber, really.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Starline s the only company that is licensed to produce the brass. It is good brass.

Lee and Hornady are the only companies that can produce the dies unless that has changed recently. RCBS does not offer it.

If you search for .458 Socom bullets, you'll find the horribly overpriced slugs ($1-2 each). Instead, look at 45-70 slugs. They are the correct diameter (.458) and they are offered in the weight (300 grain) that I selected.

I am a thrifty loader and always try to use components that I can use with other projects. We already had H-110 from loading 3" .410 shot shell rounds so there were loads up to 300 grain slug weights in the Lyman #50 manual AND I also use it for loading .300 Blackout supersonic cartridges, too. That's my kind of deal! Heavier bullets than 300 grain are not recommended for H-110 powder.

The Lyman #50 manual has almost all of the "Gee Whiz" AR 15 cartridges are in that new Lyman manual. I studied long and hard about economy of reloading before settling on the .458 Socom. The .375 Socom, and several .50 caliber AR special calibers were rejected due to projectile cost. Once I pounced on the 45-70 projectiles, that sold me on the .458 Socom rifle.

I bought Hornady and Sierra .458" dia hollow point, soft point 300 grain slugs. For some reason, I settled on the Hornady bullets.

The slightly older Lyman AR-15 book is only about $10 but the load recipes don't agree exactly with the Lyman #50 book. The #50 manual is new in 4 of 2016, so I chose it.

I set the .458 Socom and the .300 Blackout on the RL 550B presses. On the .458 Socom, you need an oversize powder die because the .458 powder funnel is too big for the standard die. It's only a few bucks more, but you need it for the Dillon press.

I posted this in another thread but it's worth knowing. Friend Jim was hunting piggies on his own land. A big one was almost facing him, so he took a head shot. Just as he fired, the hog lifted its head so the slug hit it in the neck. The hog was dead right there and when they butchered it, the .458 slug had passed the entire length of the body and was sticking out through the skin at the butt. He was using commercial ammo that could have been more useful with more expansion.

I ordered Lee factory crimp dies. for .300BLK and .458 Socom. They do a terrific job on putting minimum crimps on both cartridges and they're inexpensive. The Hornady and Sierra 300 grain slugs have perfectly positioned cannelures.

It takes a lot of arm to resize .458 Socom brass. It ain't for wimps!

For some reason, the .458 Socom recipes in Lyman #50 use Large Magnum Pistol Primers.

Flash

Last edited:

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Thanks guys for sounding off. Flash, your post is more than what I was hoping for. Appreciate the details. I have plenty of H110, and was already thinking about the 300g bullets.

Also Flash, SBR appears to have some sort of deal for being an ammo distributor. They also sell SBR stamped 458 brass.

Last edited:

Dman62

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    Prosper, TX
    I've had a Rock River SOCOM upper since they first came out. I'm kind of partial to the Hornady 350gr flat point. The Hornady dies are the way to go. I got the Lee dies first as that was all that was available to me at the time and I pulled the rims off a couple of cases. The Lee resizing die is ROUGH!
    I've used 296 and H110 (I know same powder) and am about to try AA2200 as Accurate Arms recently put out load data on it for the SOCOM and I have a bunch of it for my 6.8.
    I haven't taken it hunting (yet) but I enjoy shooting it. It's worth it just to see the look on face of the muzzle break on a .223 guys at the range when I let them shoot it.

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    The licensing situation is changing rapidly. I called RCBS and asked some direct questions about their failure to offer .458 Socom dies. The short version is that there is a license fee required by folks who have a death grip on the cartridge rights and RCBS was NOT going to pay the fee! Hornady and Lee paid that fee.

The Hornady 300 grain .458 bullets that work well come 50 to a box. Hornady Stock # is 4500. There's not a thing wrong with the Sierra 300 grain version with SPHP...flat nose.

Flash

Txhillbilly

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    North Texas
    You can find out all you need to know about loading for the 458 SOCOM here- http://458socomforums.com/index.php.
    I owned a RRA mid length 458 SC for several years,and it never saw a single round of the high priced factory ammo. Reloader 7,Lil Gun,and H110 were my go to powders,and I shot 300 gr-325 gr-350 gr- and 405 gr bullets out of mine.
    It's a fun cartridge to shoot,but has a very limited range for useful hunting or target shooting. Just think of a flying brick,that's what the trajectory is like with the 458 SOCOM. Past 100 yards,the bullet is falling out of the sky!

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    The .458 Socom is evolving and info furnished by Lyman in 2014 and their new Lyman #50 manual 2016 differ some. The best thing to do is keep riding the wave and update as the cartridge develops.

The cartridge has been very effective on piggies at fairly close range. I didn't scope my rifle. I use a red dot and the magpul folding iron sights as a backup. I see the front post of the iron sights directly through the red dot sight screen.

Flash

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    The .458 Socom is evolving and info furnished by Lyman in 2014 and their new Lyman #50 manual 2016 differ some. The best thing to do is keep riding the wave and update as the cartridge develops.

The cartridge has been very effective on piggies at fairly close range. I didn't scope my rifle. I use a red dot and the magpul folding iron sights as a backup. I see the front post of the iron sights directly through the red dot sight screen.

Flash

I have a place to hunt where the max shot is 70 yards. I think it would be perfect for it. Piggies come in for a snack, I do a mag dump on them.

Mike_from_Texas

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    North Texas
    I built a 458 Socom SBR AND suppressed it a couple of years ago. It's a hoot to shoot.

Practical? Not a chance. But it sure is fun and puts a stompin' on critters.

Oh and Redding makes dies for it and they are smooth as butter with Imperial case wax for resizing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

cswpsi

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2013
    South of Houston
    I bought a Tromix 16" complete upper a year ago and love it. D**n, it is fun to shot. The only gun I own that has no real purpose.

If you're serious about owning and using for hogs or other game, don't buy ammo! Load your own. It's the only practical way to afford shooting this caliber.

I load Nosler 300g BT over IMR4198 in Starline brass w/CCI 350 LPM primers. Over the life if the bass it ends up being less than 1/2 the cost of commercial 458S ammo.

If you're patient, you can find good discounts on overruns or blems of Nosler BT from Shooters Pro Shop at shootersproshop.com

Charles

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Swarf

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2014
    Gulf Coast
    Of all the AR15 big bores (450 Bushmaster, 50 Beowolf, etc.) 458 SOCOM is the most appealing to me. Loads seems easier to find. Nosler has it, but none for the others. Components are also more available from various mfrs, not just 1 or 2. Not needing special magazines is nice too. Sharing bullets with 45/70 is the biggest plus.

Even with the 458 SOCOM... unless you reload, I just don't see shooting it much.

cswpsi

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2013
    South of Houston
    Of all the AR15 big bores (450 Bushmaster, 50 Beowolf, etc.) 458 SOCOM is the most appealing to me. Loads seems easier to find. Nosler has it, but none for the others. Components are also more available from various mfrs, not just 1 or 2. Not needing special magazines is nice too. Sharing bullets with 45/70 is the biggest plus.

Even with the 458 SOCOM... unless you reload, I just don't see shooting it much.

There is quite a bit of load data available for 458 SOCOM. Nosler, as you mention, and also Western Powders has quite a number of 458 SOCOM loads. The Lyman 50th Ed. (haven't check the 49th ed.) has data and Barnes Bullets has data online.

Bullets are plentiful from Hornady, Nosler, Barnes, and high-end bullets from Lehigh Defense. Berry's makes a nice plated bullet for a good price and X-Treme Bullets (Freedom) began selling plated not long ago. Sharing with 45-70 is definitely a big plus.

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    The Lyman #50 gives lots of load information and the AR-15 book published by Lyman also has lots of information. The two books don't always agree but one is several years older than the other. The Lyman #50 dates from last year and it most current.

The use of 300 grain 45-70 bullets from Hornady and Sierra is a great gift. I simply can't afford the high Dollar 458 Socom special bullets.

Glad that you guys see the advantages of the .458 Socom on an AR-15. It's like adding a supercharger to your car!

I just don't see shooting it much.
    Around here, Hog hunting is #1. The .458 Socom is a natural for putting hogs in the freezer

Flash

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    The Lyman #50 gives lots of load information and the AR-15 book published by Lyman also has lots of information. The two books don't always agree but one is several years older than the other. The Lyman #50 dates from last year and it most current.

The use of 300 grain 45-70 bullets from Hornady and Sierra is a great gift. I simply can't afford the high Dollar 458 Socom special bullets.

Glad that you guys see the advantages of the .458 Socom on an AR-15. It's like adding a supercharger to your car!

I just don't see shooting it much.
    Around here, Hog hunting is #1. The .458 Socom is a natural for putting hogs in the freezer

Flash

Flash, does it require a different bolt carrier group than a 556 AR?

Top Bottom