• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    The bolt face recess is opened up to accommodate the .458 Socom. Yes, the bolt is modified. The carrier assembly is standard, as I recall. The ejection port is also opened up a bit. The magazines are standard.

The loads I use come from the Lyman #50 and use 300 grain bullets with H110 powder with large pistol magnum primers.

The experts caution against loading a round from popping one into the chamber and releasing the bolt. Load from a magazine only.

Flash
    Target Sports

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Just out of curiosity, how much noise reduction on a 458 happens with a suppressor?

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Not certain about the noise reduction as I always wear heavy duty ear protection. Frankly, I don't have much faith in rifle caliber suppressors even though the guys I work with swear by them.

The best suppressor applications are 9mm and .22LR. Those .22's are darn near movie quiet and the 9mm's are reduced to a "pop."

Flash

Last edited:

Swarf

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2014
    Gulf Coast
    Okay, let me play devil's advocate for a minute. The main thing that has kept me from building a 458 SOCOM upper is the fact that it would end up costing me about the same - if not a bit more - than a Marlin 1895. 45-70 is an even more versatile cartridge and the lever action is equally friendly to leftie shooters.

Shooting hogs with a lightweight semi-auto sledge hammer is definitely an appealing idea, but having to look for spent (expensive) brass flung into the tall grass every time I pull the trigger... not as much.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Okay, let me play devil's advocate for a minute. The main thing that has kept me from building a 458 SOCOM upper is the fact that it would end up costing me about the same - if not a bit more - than a Marlin 1895. 45-70 is an even more versatile cartridge and the lever action is equally friendly to leftie shooters.

Shooting hogs with a lightweight semi-auto sledge hammer is definitely an appealing idea, but having to look for spent (expensive) brass flung into the tall grass every time I pull the trigger... not as much.

Ask and you shall receive.....

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/pro...atcfuWIaHa_-y-fNnN2zoKoHMplXoiphoCoucQAvD_BwE

Swarf

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2014
    Gulf Coast
    I have the Caldwell brass catcher (smaller one) but I've only use it at the range. Probably okay for hunting if shooting from a blind. Stalking I'm not so sure I'd want it dangling on there.

Seriously though, I had to dig pretty hard to come up with that negative. In reality, it's not that much of an issue. It's not that I'll be sprayin' and prayin' while shooting hogs and picking up a mag full of brass.

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Good points but they overlook why that .458 Socom was produced. Socom is Special Operations Command. The cartridge was developed to place shoulder cannons in the hands of folks who sneak into places and disrupt bad guys. Our own tests prove that the modified rifles are very accurate and pack a hammer wallop even in suppressed form! All that is required is to push out two pins and replace the upper assembly. That's pretty remarkable!

We as civilians, don't wack a lot of bad guys, but we do convert wild hogs to tasty meals. Friend Jim was going for a front head shot and the hog lifted its head as he fired. That .458 bullet traveled the whole length of the hog and stuck out of the skin at the rear end. The bullet didn't expand, but that was the fault of the bullet design, not the caliber.

I agree totally with your choice of hunting rifles. My Hog gun is a Marlin 1895 lever action with a low power scope in 45-70, but my .458 Socom is ready to clobber hogs, too.

Flash

ShadowDelta

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2015
    Here is my 2 dollars on this:

Way back when the 458 Socom was going to market, it was all the rage. I was a manager of a gunshop in SC, 2010 ish. I couldnt get a hold of any of the uppers or rifles from the source. RRA just announced they were going to make them. Our shop was a stocking dealer, and i put my name on one. 10 months later it shows up. At this time, there was only SBR and Corbon who made ammo. SBR was alway out of stock, couldnt make it fast enough. One of my customers knew the upper management at Corbon. Scored me 4 boxes of their 250gr copper hollow point ammo. I was able to get 2 boxes of SBR, 350gr rn solids. I go to thr range, shoot 8 rounds total, and have cases shearing in half at the same spot. The 8th round get stuck in thr chamber. Call RRA, they said it was ammo. Called SBR and Corbon, they said it was the chamber being rough.....so off to RRA IT GOES with 20rds of my ammo. 2wks later it comes back with a note saying its fine. No brass or anything was returned. I was mad, but ok. So vo to shoot again...and it does it again. This time i call and talk the owner of RRA, and after some heated discussions, they agreed to take the rifle back, comp me 2 lowers, and a 6.8 SPC rifle. It also trigger them to put a warning on their website about Corbon not being "recommended". Found out corbon had a run of hot ammo and weak/not proper 458 Socom ammo.

Fast forward to about 2014. Wilson combat jumps on the wagon. I get the billet upper lower with 14.5" suppressor ready barrel. First, the lower didnt have all the rear take down detent spring hole drilled. Had to send it back to get redrilled. Get it back, get the rifle all built and ready. Ordered different kinds of ammo from Bangitammo.com , they manufacture under black butterfly, along with stock sbr and other manufacturers. Of the 10 different types of 458 socom ammo i ordered, ONLY the SBR 140gr ARX chambered into full battery and shot....fml...here i go again right? So i email both Wilson and Black Butterfly. The owner of Black Butterfly calls me about 2 hrs later on a sunday, explained his manufacturer process, and was confident it was his products. Wilson replied with a very vauge <--VERY, explination and said it wasnt them. So mad at this, I contacted Tony at Tromix, who was one of the designers of the bullet. He offered to fix it, and i quote "Tired of all this stupid shit, people not knowing what the hell theyre doing"..lol. True to his word, he got it, fixed it, called me explained that wilson was in the lower end of the allowance of tolerance for the chambering, and the ammo being in the higher end, causing my issues. He took .0004 out, and it runs like a champ now. Killed a lot of deer and other 4 legged animals.
    2675fa19902170d1c6a2a2d027854207.jpg
    d451f68693161e8aa9abbb7e6e8ef794.jpg
    4aa20dc8211d1923ebc9840bc31a7067.jpg
    cbcc60086a0bf3df24d6ec293d6b27fe.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Top Bottom