458 SoCom

deemus

my mama says I'm special
Feb 1, 2010
DFW
I'm loading for about 65 cents per, excluding brass. I bought some Starline brass.

It's a bit finicky reloading. Got to have it just right. Spent a fair amount of time on 458socom.com. Learned a ton over there.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
Jul 11, 2009
East Houston
Deemus is telling you right! I use Hornady bullets of 300 grain with Starline brass. Cost is right at 65 cents per round. Not bad for a shoulder cannon!

That 300 grain slug is designed for the 45-70 and works great! Sure, if you step off of the well worn path, costs peak quickly. Shooting the .458 Socom is NOT outrageously expensive if you stick with the "cheap guy" loads because the 300 grain 45-70 bullets are very reasonable. Those loads are plenty powerful, too!

The "finicky" is due in part that the cartridge data has spotty OAL length data. Play with the OAL and see what feeds best in your AR-15. Some folks even make a relief radius on the forward surface of their magazines to aid feeding. I have NOT needed to do that.

I'd LOVE to have a bolt action rifle in .458 Socom!

Flash

Last edited:

deemus

my mama says I'm special
Feb 1, 2010
DFW
The other finicky part is that you have to Bell the mouth to accept the bullet, using the Lee powder through expanding die, to properly insert the bullet and seat it.

Also, you have to roll crimp the mouth to close the case back around the bullet. Otherwise the case mouth can prevent the round from fully chambering.

Once I did those steps, I've had zero rounds not chamber and fire.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
Feb 1, 2010
DFW
I'll have to look, but I thought I bought a 4 die set that included it. I will let you know this weekend.

Top Bottom