• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • txgolfer45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2009
    Dallas
    Being new to reloading, I've been reading about various loads for 230 gr. FMJ but, by design, they give ranges from min to max. If I wanted to duplicate a hardball load for purposes of "breaking in" a new 1911, what load do I need to work up using Bullseye powder?

A buddy said hardball has an OAL of 1.260. I checked a factory Remington UMC and it gauged at 1.265 OAL.

My .45ACP One book/One caliber manual says max load is 5.0 grs for Bullseye.

The Alliant website says min OAL is 1.26 and a charge weight of 5.7 for 840 fps in a 4.4 inch barrel for Bullseye.

The Lyman 49th edition says a 230 gr TMJ 1.275 OAL has a starting grains of 3.8 and a max load grains of 5.3 for Bullseye.

Suggestions?

BTW, this load will go in a Govt model 1911, if that makes any difference.

Thanks!
    Gun Zone Deals

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Welcome to reloading - NO two manuals agree. ;) First thing you'll have to decide is how aggressive a reloader you wanna be. Bear in mind that it's now pretty much up to you how long your guns last - and if you screw up, learn to say "My bad!!" - because there'll be no one else to blame. Personally, I opt for lighter rounds, even for break-in. I've got nothing to prove to anyone - makin' the most noise on the line just means I'm closer to exceeding cup on a gun that I'll be replacing. I ain't there to impress 'em - I'm there to make a single hole in the target after 7 rounds.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I dump mid-range loads on a progressive, that way if the load drops a little heavy or light I am OK as far as pressure and gun operation are concerned.

TXRedneck is absolutely correct, the books never agree. Just be sure to check the C.O.L. on each one, as that affects pressure also. Usually, even the lightest load will cycle a gun reliably.

Be cautious with Bullseye, as a double charge will usually fit in a case and blow up your gun. I prefer Unique for handgun loads. It doesn't give you the same speed as Bullseye will, but even a double charge of the lightest loads will spill out of the case.

robocop10mm

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 9, 2009
    Round Rock
    Bullseye is (IMHO) a dangerous powder. Double charges or half charges are equally dangerous. I prefer a powder with more bulk. I currently use Red Dot. It is versitile. It works well in nearly all my handgun loads as well as light field loads in 12 ga. Mid range loads here too.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    I use W231, so far very pleased with it and use it in all my standard (non-mag) handgun loads. I've loaded about 15k rounds with it since last year, an' nary an issue so far. It meters well AND consistantly.

PopsXD9sc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Longview
    +1 on the W231. All that I use for both 9mm and .45. I also shoot medium loads; accurate and cycles the gun. All the bullets aren't in the same hole but pretty darn close.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    Powder formulas DO change! When in doubt, use the manufacturer's maximum load as your limit. But also check to see the bullet and seating depth used, because that can affect the pressure.

Bullseye is a great powder that burns nicely and works well with a .45. 231 also works well. They are my favorites, and I've also tried Unique, Tightgroup, and PowerPistol. I didn't like Unique because it was very dirty, although the new version is supposed to be cleaner. Tightgroup works good but you only use a very small amount and it's hard to meter accurately. PowerPistol works, but didn't particularly do better than anything else. When you're not pushing a magnum pressure, you can get good results with a variety of powders.

I agree with a couple of the posters above; I don't see any good reason to try to max out a target load. So what if you're 900 FPS instead of 880? It's far more important that the load you make is accurate in your pistol.

Top Bottom