• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bradmartin78

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 28, 2016
    Fort Worth
    Hey there. I was digging through some ammo I loaded a few years ago. 230gr RN Hornady over 5.7gr of BE-86. Looks like I set the depth a little too short @ 1.209”. Book calls for 1.230”. Charge range is 5.3gr to 6.4gr. Should I shoot it or adjust? Thanks
    Military Camp

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    You have to remember, minimum C.O.L.s are based on maximum charges. You can always go shorter when you're below max. Considerably if you're way under max like you are. Usually bullet profile will dictate a C.O.L. moreso than anything else.

SWCs and many flat nose bullets will seat considerably shorter than their ball round counterparts. I think those rounds are gtg but to be on the safe side I'd shoot a couple and inspect for pressure signs before I'd go mag dumping.

Bradmartin78

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 28, 2016
    Fort Worth
    I have a couple hundred. I used a kinetic puller on twenty. That got old fast. I’ll try a couple out later this week. I didn’t think there would be a problem, but I don’t load short normally.

tonelar

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 9, 2009
    El Paso
    I have a couple hundred. I used a kinetic puller on twenty. That got old fast. I’ll try a couple out later this week. I didn’t think there would be a problem, but I don’t load short normally.

does that puller get the bullet all the way out with your first strike? if not give it one hit and run the cartridge through your seating die set up for less depth.

on the other hand, 45acp isn’t what’s considered a high pressure round. if it feeds, i’d shoot it. do like TexMex said and check for signs of over-pressure after your first shot.

Last edited:

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    If you're not at max load, you should be fine. That doesn't sound overly short to me. I load 200 gr flat points way below book because that's what chambers in my gun but I am also not at the upper ends of the powder charge either.

Ozzman

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 17, 2015
    El Paso, Texas
    Just copy a factory bought round and you should be good to go.

What I do:
    I keep a "copy" bullet in each of my die boxes for this. I have a new "store" bought bullet FMJ from around 2005 in there and I copy to it on the seating die. I also have one for my cast bullets so there is no fuss on getting the depth right.

Do it once, do it fast, and get cranking.

Deavis

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 20, 2011
    Austin
    Hey there. I was digging through some ammo I loaded a few years ago. 230gr RN Hornady over 5.7gr of BE-86. Looks like I set the depth a little too short @ 1.209”. Book calls for 1.230”. Charge range is 5.3gr to 6.4gr. Should I shoot it or adjust? Thanks

Shoot them. You are so far from published max (which was measured in a test barrel that is far tighter than your gun and account for statistical variation for safety) and you aren't even in +P territory which the vast majority of modern firearms will handle without issue.

Top Bottom