Guns International

.45acp Supressor, What Would You Suggest?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Eventually I would like to suppress my Sig P220. I'm just curious what everyone's opinions are on some of the best 45acp suppressors out there? I've been doing research lately, but it would be nice to hear from those that have been there and already used one. From what I've seen it seems KAC, AAC, YHM, and SWR are some of the more respected brands. Also, from what I've seen, it sounds like I should probably stay away from Gemtech suppressors as I've heard quite a few negative things about them regarding quality and effectiveness. Right now I'm looking into the SWR HEMS2, and so far I'm liking what I'm reading about it. Any help is much appreciated.
    Target Sports

ducksps

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    Austin, Houston
    SWR has some pretty good reviews

SWR has good reviews but I have not shot one of the 45 cans myself. I have the Gemtech Blackside which a few folks shot on my STI tactical at the recent Shiloh meet. Overall I've been very pleased but it is a limited use can in that it does not have a booster. Once you start geting into browning actions like the 1911 or other tilt barrel guns things change quickly and most cans need a booster. The blackside gets around that on some pistols due to its light weight. Before making a choice on which can you should look at the pistol or pistols you plan to use and make a plan.

You will always have a compromise between adaptability, mounting ease, size, weight, cost and noise suppression.

Chris

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Just curious Chris (or anyone else), what's your opinion of KAC cans? From what I've seen and heard, it sounds like they build some of, if not, the best cans on the market. I like the idea of having the best, and don't really mind paying extra.

ducksps

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    Austin, Houston
    No opinion on KAC cans

They have some good press but I have never dealt with their product or company. I would be very interested if you purchased one so i could learn something new. I do hear they are difficult to find.

We are preparing an SWC order so let me know if you decide to go that route and we will take good care of you.

Chris

David

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    North Texas
    I have a buddy with an Evo. Like all of AAC products the quality and performance is very nice for what you can get for silencing a .45.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I'll probably just end up going with an SWR, and don't worry Chris, I'll definitely go through you. :D It will probably be awhile before I can afford it though.

ducksps

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    Austin, Houston
    Placed an order today

HK_Fiend,

We placed and order today for SWR and included a 45 can for you to inspect. We currently have blacksides in stock. If interested in something inexpensive I have a used Gemtech SOS 45 can with LID setup for HK metric threading for 375. We were getting low on stock and wanted to get our quantities and selection back to where it was before we had a run on cans since the first of the year.

regards,
    chris

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Cool, thanks Chris! After doing a little research, I'm probably just going to go the SWR HEMS2 route. It's probably going to be a month or 2 before I can afford to buy it. I'll let you know when I get to that point, and I'm sure in the meantime I'll bug you with plenty of other questions as you seem to be a wealth of information Chris. ;)

idleprocess

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW.com
    Sounds a little better than the homebrew route of a large piece of EMT conduit with a threaded adaptor, some washers welded inline as baffles and some steel wool to fill the void...

Top Bottom